We’re coming down to the final previews for the Warden and Master tiers for the core Disciplines. This week we’re taking a look at the Beastmaster. As always, you can get a look at some of the thoughts behind the Discipline design from Morgan over on his blog.
Since we’re getting to the end of our exploration, there’s not much in the way of new talents to look at. Many of the combat-related talents have appeared under one of the other combat Discplines we’ve looked at, while non-combat utility talents (Alley Cat Approach and Bloodhound Form, for instance) are part of Disciplines like the Scout and Thief.
Animal Leadership allows the Beastmaster to take charge of a group of animals, who follow the adept’s lead (including attacking) while the talent duration lasts.
Goring Attack enhances the damage dealt by the adept’s animal companion. Not surprisingly, this talent shows up for the Cavalryman as well.
Howl allows the adept to intimidate groups, imposing a penalty to all of their tests.
Warden Talent Options: Armor Mount,Bloodhound Form, Burning Vigor, Chameleon, Defensive Posture, Eagle Eye, Goring Attack, Life Check, Resist Pain, Steely Stare
- Tough Hide: The adept performs an eight hour ritual to infuse their skin with bestial resilience. Each ritual is unique to the adept, but tends to be a product of their instruction and personal philosophy, and commonly performed as the final act in becoming a Warden. Some may summon beast spirits, trading a piece of their Pattern, while others may use the blood and hide of a creature they have recently slain. At the end of the ritual, the adept takes 1 Blood Magic damage and adds +3 to their Toughness Value. Once performed this ritual is typically permanent.
- Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on any non-combat test made while in the wilderness.
- Discipline Talent: Relentless Recovery
- Defense: The adept adds +2 to their Social Defense.
- Initiative: The adept adds +1 to their base Initiative.
- Discipline Talent: Critical Hit
- Defense: The adept adds +1 to their Mystic Defense,
- Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on an Attack test made against a target they have previously damaged.
- Discipline Talent: Unflinching Fortitude
- Defense: The adept adds +4 to their Physical Defense.
- Recovery: The adept gains 2 additional Recovery tests per day.
- Discipline Talent: Momentum Attack
Master Talent Options: Alley Cat Approach, Animal Leadership, Aura Armor, Echolocation, Lion Spirit, Second Chance, Vital Strike, Vital Ward
- Bestial War Form: As a Simple action for 5 Strain, the adept can take on the features and traits of other creatures. The adept gains 12 points to allocate as they wish between Initiative, Claw Shape ranks, Movement Rate, and Physical Armor. The player is encouraged to describe in what manner the character manifests the bonuses, and the adept’s final appearance is based on the final bonuses. The points may be reallocated by using the ability again for 5 Strain, but only once per round at most. This ability lasts for up to 10 minutes per use and may be used a number of times per day equal to the adept’s rank in Beast Weaving.
- Defense: The adept adds +3 to their Social Defense.
- Karma: The adept increases their Karma +1 Step to a d8.
- Mystic Armor: The adept gains +1 Mystic Armor.
- Discipline Talent: Howl
- Defense: The adept adds +5 to their Physical Defense.
- Initiative: The adept adds +2 to their base Initiative.
- Discipline Talent: Vicious Wound
- Defense: The adept adds +2 to their Mystic Defense.
- Recovery: The adept gains 3 additional Recovery tests per day.
- Discipline Talent: Venom