AAR: [3M] Whatever Happened to Lord Pel? 2020-11-01 @ 2000 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

nathaniel
Re: LFG: [3M] Whatever Happened to Lord Pel? 2020-11-01 @ 2000 GMT

Post by nathaniel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:17 pm

Strata (Drew), Perrok (Aeggy), Rendar (Dougan), and Nergae (Rosina) please join me in search of Lord Pel.

ottdmk

Re: AAR: [3M] Whatever Happened to Lord Pel? 2020-11-01 @ 2000 GMT

Post by ottdmk » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:12 am

AAR: Whatever Happened to Lord Pel?
GM: ottdmk
ECR: 3
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Barag: 1,400 LP, 275 SP, 3 TIPS
Dale: 1,400 LP, 275 SP, 3 TIPS
Nergae: 1,400 LP, 275 SP, 3 TIPS
Rendar: 1,400 LP, 275 SP, 3 TIPS
Strata: 1,400 LP, 275 SP, 3 TIPs

Alternate Rewards:
None

GM Reward: Dubhan (124,000 LP, 2,000 SP, 3 TIPs)

Downtime:
Barag: Item History Rank 1/11
Nergae: Animal Training 3/9
Rendar: Animal Training 2/8

Summary:
After being ambushed by wolves, and helping Juniper Hallow with a lion problem, the team discovered the sad fate of Lord Pel and his Skyknights.

Serespar

Post by Serespar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:23 pm

<Throalic year equivalent to Nov 1, 2020>

<Excerpt From the personal journal of Strata the Obsidiman>

Wiz the cat came back and told me her servant Nergae was up to something again. Wasn’t too clear on the details but followed along as she led her court out of the gates of Throal and into Bartertown. I gave Dumpling the bone I’d been saving for him. He seemed glad to see me. Barag, the Elementalist that puts Air Armor on me when we fight was there; nodded greetings. Handy dwarf to have around.

There were also three others with the cat that I didn’t know. Rendar, an ork cavalryman, Quechir the horse, and Dale a human caster specializing in Illusions. Was polite as they rushed through their greetings; am getting the hang of talking with the fast ones more as I interact with them.

We walked outside for a short time, heading toward Juniper Hollow. We were approached by a flock of birds that talked inside our heads. I responded politely and we discussed the road and travel conditions ahead and behind. Nergae introduced us and the birds warned us that a pack of wolves was hunting in the area.

We hadn’t traveled far when the wolves attacked.

I punched them.

I was started when Dale used his magic to sharpen my stone armor into a much more war like form. It was fun. I punched some more. Put him on my handy to have around list.

We rested for the night in a beautiful sheltered spot where the stone jutted out of the grass. The stone was ancient and sang me to sleep.

We arrived at Juniper Hollow the next day. The cat’s servants talked with the locals, and Wiz indicated he might consider adding a giant feline servant to his entourage, so we staked out the local animal pen and waited for the lions that had been attacking the animals to come hunting.

I punched them.

The big male lion roared at me. I roared back and punched him. He fell asleep.

The cat watched from the roof of the house by the paddock. I tied up the sleeping male and female lions as the cat began to use his mind control powers on them. Am curious as to how that turned out.

We walked some more toward some ruins that a crazy human(?) used as a base. We got there. The stonework was beautiful <entry digresses into a detailed description of the stonework for several pages>. There were ghouls.

I punched them.

We burned the bodies of the crazy humans and the ghouls that had killed them, so they wouldn’t reanimate and harm others.
Last edited by Serespar on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Rendar Field Report #4

Dale had been working in the Library and became curious about my first adventure outside of Throal. Helping Ka'av and his Sky Knights defend Juniper's Hollow from Raiders. They want to know more about the Sky Knights and their leader, Lord Pel. Dale gathered us, Nergae, Barag, and Strata to join him for the investigation.

Day 1
We encountered a flock of Chakta Birds who spoke in our minds. They seemed friendly enough, though they occasionally glanced at us as if sizing us up. We made nice enough with food and introductions. The only useful information they shared with us was that wolves were in the area.

The birds were barely out of sight when Strata is attacked by a pack of wolves. We rush to assist him and reduce the pressure enough that he's able to use his Wood Skin to prolong his life. Nergae's wolf, Dumpling, is knocked out in the skirmish. Barag and I treat the injured. After we establish this is a safe area, we make camp.

Day 2
Mostly recovered, we make the rest of the trip to Juniper's Hollow.

We ask around about the Sky Knights and get strange responses from the townsfolk. Dale gets an elderly dwarf to share a book from his library that he hands to Dale. “Lord Pel and the Fabulous Sky Knights” a pre-Scourge child’s tale.

The dwarf explains that when Junipers Hollow was founded, they had many hardships. A Human Cavalryman, Jared, ran into something that drove him a little mad. After that, he started calling himself Lord Pel. He gathered followers, did some good, but sometimes the trees are horrible monsters. He can be rather inspiring, even if he is insane. Ka’av works with him, he and Jared go way back.

They have some problems and could use his help currently. Pride of about 5 lions (1 male, 4 females) moved into the area to the East. Every few days they raid the town. Nergae knows they’re Ambush predators, so we set up a trap.

Lord Pel’s lands start a days ride from here to the West. Campsite on some pre-Scourge ruins.

We set up the ambush and wait a long time. Around dawn, Dale notices them via his Astral Sense, and wakes up the rest of us.

Ambushing the ambush predators worked well, and the pen limited their mobility, while still allowing our Magicians to hit their targets. Their pride was four females and a male. We knocked out two females and killed the male. The remainder fled. Nergae attempted to Bond with one of the females.

A short time later, we've performed our morning rituals, and head East to the camp of "Lord Pel."

Day 3
The ruins were home to a good number of Namegivers. Their tents were ruined, their corpses strewn everywhere, showing signs of being eaten. I found Ka'ag lying dead, weapon nearby. At least he died fighting.

Dale noticed a small group of Ghouls with his Astral Sense. They hadn't noticed us yet, so we had time to prepare. Dale and Barag cast a few spells on all of us just in time. Stratta found a defensible location for them to make a line. Quechir and I waited for the enemy to commit themselves, and took out their flanking force. Then wheeled around to come in behind the other ghouls and pinch them between us. Quechir's jump training paid off with those small ruins walls.

We found the body of "Lord Pel," next to a dead horse. He had a journal of "The New Adventures of Lord Pel and his Fabulous Sky Knights." It referred back to some of the old stories, but it detailed many new adventures. To be safe, we make a large pyre to burn all the bodies. There were a lot of ghouls sent this way, the Sky Knights took down many before they were killed. Was it a large roving band of ghouls, or something more coordinated?

Rathan01

Post by Rathan01 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:06 am

A journal entry from Barag Yurdum of House Yurdum,

Dale asks me to help find out fate of Lord Pel and Skyknights after someone dropped from group. Again I am called to “fill in”. I am fine with this. I had not heard of Lord Pel but find out he helped Rendar some time ago and seems to have disappeared. We head out to Juniper with Strata, Rendar, Nergae, and Dale.

On way to Juniper, five Chakta birds land and speak to us in our heads. This is new to me. We are polite and they warn us of wolves ahead. Every time I go out, wolves. We are attacked by eight wolves. Strata takes serious damage but still fought well. We kill them and continue to Juniper.

In Juniper, we ask about Lord Pel and people act strangely. We are told that Pel is from child’s story. Jared, Adept Cavalryman, seems to have lost marbles and thinks he is hero from stories. We believe he may be in ruins. Before we go, they tell us town is being stalked by pride of lions. We will help them before finding Pel/Jared.

We set ambush in spot where lions have killed livestock before. Five lions show up and we spring trap. It all works out well. We knock out two and other three run away. We then head out to ruins after tying up lions.

At ruins, something is not right. We scout ghouls and make defensive formation. This group works well together and we kill five ghouls. We search ruins and find the bodies of Jared and his friends. We also find journal written by “Lord Pel” so Jared’s deeds will live on for more children. The number of ghouls that were killed by our and their group seems unusual.