New Enchanting knack

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Sharkforce

Re: New Enchanting knack

Post by Sharkforce » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 am

I mean, you *can* learn the skill, you know.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:53 am

ChainWolf wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:32 am
I was not square peg round holing though! I was looking at Disciplines practices and belief and extrapolating forward. This is why I said a Nethermancer should not have access to it and was on the fence about Wizard.
By that logic though, I still do not follow why Elementalist should get it but Nethermancer shouldn't.
  • Neither focuses on namegivers or interacting with them.
  • Neither of them has a spell roster that particularly focuses of healing (They each get 4 spells that can be considered healijg)
  • Both mainly interact with spirits
Have healing spells & talents isn't really something that that's exclusive to the Elementalist. Both can heal others (Cold Purify vs Blood Share) and Nethermancers get additionally Lifesight & Blood Insight vs Shock Treatment that elementalist get.

Just because Nethermancers have a dark theme, doesn't mean they cannot or should not be able to make healing aids. That's backwards logic, not forward.

Overall, I am still against such a knack for the reasons already stated. For me, it doesn't fit the Lore (Healing is the domain of Garlen - see devotions) and mechanically, easy access to healing aids is too powerful.

Now the lore reason doesn't matter if you run a custom setting and just use ED rules, but I reallly don't like people misrepresenting the poor Nethermancers who are devoting their life to saving us all 😜

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:53 am

*double post*
Last edited by ragbasti on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:33 am

healing in Earthdawn is anyway pretty fast. If you consistently need it faster, you lack caution.

Or toughness ;-)
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:13 am

health ratings heal quite fast. unless your dice hate you with a passion (probably Raggok, if I had to guess :P )

wounds? not so much.

death? particularly not so much :P

and poison... well, that depends a lot on the poison.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:05 pm

(I agree with Panda, btw, in why healing items are not included in the Enchanting talent.)

Nethermancers are also described as those that learn enough about living patterns (from studying their remains) that they can magically alter them & I think there is a nod to "grisly battlefield medic" in there as well.

"Consumable" doesn't have to mean "healing potion" tho. D&D "caster scrolls", wand, staves, etc are "consumables" & often have attack or utility spell effects. In my game, activating these cost 1 strain & 1 round for each thread the spell would normally have required (no bonus threads or thread weaving knacks or successes) & if you don't have Spellcasting you are rolling raw Per/Will for effect. The caster takes part of the "mana burn" & the physical object takes the rest and the Astral corruption & is destroyed by it. I see these in game more as loot/minor treasure & I am still tweaking the rules around them.

Keep in mind that Spellstore IS a 7th Circle Wizard spell, after all....