Rules: Momentum Attack

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
DocShoe
Rules: Momentum Attack

Post by DocShoe » Mon May 17, 2021 1:29 pm

Hi there,

the ruling of Momentum Attack is not precise, when is a character allowed to make a Momentum Attack? The phrase "The adept makes an additional close combat attack while his opponent recovers from the first blow." gives the impression the character must have hit the target and must have dealt net damage (otherwise the target would not have to recover from the hit). I understand a character has to achieve at least one extra success on his attack test, but
- Does a successful "Avoid Blow" test prevent a Momentum Attack?
- Is a character allowed to make a Momentum Attack even if the damage is completely absorbed by armor or otherwise reduced to 0 net damage?

Kind regards,
Guido

Bonhumm

Re: Rules: Momentum Attack

Post by Bonhumm » Mon May 17, 2021 2:32 pm

FROM OFFICIAL ERRATA: Clarification: The extra success required on a close combat Attack test doesn’t have to be “spent” to activate Momentum Attack. The goal is to mostly keep things contained for now. If more than one success is required to hit, the extra success is beyond that requirement (hence “extra”). Since this is a Simple action, it has to be used on the adept’s turn and isn’t compatible with close combat attacks outside of the adept’s turn; the attack must also use the same weapon as the originating attack. For example, the additional attack provided by Air Dance is incompatible because it takes place later in the round when the adept can no longer make Simple actions. The same goes for Riposte and if something like “Snapshot” for close combat attacks shows up, they have similar incompatibility.

DocShoe

Post by DocShoe » Mon May 17, 2021 2:38 pm

Thank you for your response, but your answer doesn´t address one of my rule questions.

It´s still unclear when a character is allowed to make a Momentum Attack. Say the character attacks using his "Melee Weapons" talent, is one extra success sufficient despite of a successful "Avoid Blow" test or damage reduction by armour? In other words: Is one extra success the sole requirement in this scenario?

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon May 17, 2021 3:15 pm

I would assume that since it says 'while recovering from the first blow' (and NOT while recovering from the damage of the first blow) that as long as the attack was successful (and you got an extra success) you can make your second attack. The fact that the armor absorbed some or all of the damage and/or that the target avoided the blow does not change the fact that your attack WAS successful (i.e you beat his PD).

Thus, I do think that, indeed, 'one extra success' is the only requirement and that the beginning of the paragraph is just fluff.

DocShoe

Post by DocShoe » Mon May 17, 2021 3:31 pm

Thanks again, that´s exactly what I think.
For most talent descriptions the first paragraph is flavour; the technical part starts with the second paragraph.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Tue May 18, 2021 11:36 am

I would not consider an attack as successful when the target avoided the blow and therefore it would not be possible to use Momentum Attack.
But for the damage I'm your opinion: It is not needed to deal any.