AAR [5H] Murder Night in Sossanopa. 2020-10-03 @ 2359 gmt

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Serespar
Re: AAR [5H] Murder Night in Sossanopa. 2020-10-03 @ 2359 gmt

Post by Serespar » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:14 am

<date equivalent to October 3, 2020>

To Whom it May Concern at the Great Library

I was having lunch at Miss Terry’s Fry Basket, a local hangout in Sossanopa with my friends Redsun, Mal, Elisen and Jarok. The Fried Catch of the Day with battered vegetables and the sweet and spicy dipping sauce is to die for by the way. The view from the back deck by the river is beautiful and the drinks were cold. What more could you ask for?

Well we got an answer to that; we were grateful our fish had already been caught when we spotted a body drifting down the river. Elisen ran a grapple out to hook it, and Redsun and Mal reeled it in. Miss Terry pretty quickly let us know that a week old body pulled from the river wasn’t exactly the most appetizing advertisement for the restaurant, and we moved it over onto the docks and away from the patrons.

The t’skrang body was wearing sodden fishing gear, so we asked the local fishermen who had come to gawk who he was. Turns out he was a local fixture, a guy by the name of Tk’swan who ran a solo fishing boat round the river by the name of “Unsinkable II” (We declined to ask what had happened to “Unsinkable I”, in case you were wondering.). He was best described as a cantankerous drinkin fella with a bit of a fishing problem, but had no known enemies. One of the fisherman told me that ol ‘swan dumped his ex-wife and their ramshackle house on the fella foolish enough to have an affair with her, but that they had moved away years ago after the shack collapsed into the river and ‘swan was happier than he’d been in years. They then got into an argument about who had the worst ex that turned into a surprisingly solemn moment when they all took their caps off and wished ‘swan well at the best fishing spot in the afterlife. (A description and sketch of Unsinkable II is in Appendix A. A map showing the fishing spots Tk’Swan had been seen at over the last two weeks is in Appendix B.)

We examined the body and decided that the knife wound where he had been gutted before being dropped in the river was the likely cause of death. We are clever that way.

While we were getting ready to call the guard, Mayor Fields (a dwarf) puffed his self-important way up and told all and sundry how terrible it was that there had been another murder most foul! Um, another murder mayor? <haggle, haggle, yes we would be happy to look into it for you mayor, haggle…>

Turns out the dwarf Droman Miller (who, you guessed it, ran the local granary and mill) had died in a suspicious accident two days back. The town was reeling from the blow and the local farmers didn’t know how they were going to get their products to market without someone who knew how to run a mill. Goodman Miller was survived by his wife, Goodwife Miller and a couple of kids, but they were thought to be too young to take over the mill. Some relatives were being contacted to try to sort things out, but it was a terrible tragedy. A little cross checking revealed that the Miller was thought to be charging too much to the local bakery and other customers, while the local farmers all griped that he paid too little for their grain. The prices for both were very close to each other so it sounded like the miller was caught between a couple of millstones to make his own living. Yay small town economics.

Given that the mill was in town and the last know location for the Unsinkable II was about 20 miles upstream, we decided to start with the Mill.
Nothing quite says we are sorry for your loss like a fish casserole, so we picked up one from Miss Terry and carried it to the house of the grieving widow (the family lives in a structure attached to the mill).

We met with Goody Miller and handed over our casserole. Redsun began his questor of Mynbruje schtick consoling her and asking investigator questions while I mixed with the bored ladies keeping company at the house to decant all the juicy gossip you can ONLY get at a small town funeral. Long n short of it was that I learned a wee bit too much but nothing that seemed directly applicable, so rejoined the gang as they went to look the mill over for clues now that they had the Goodwife’s permission.

In the mill, we quickly figured out that the smooshed bloodstain between the grist and the main wheel was the likely cause of death, yay! We also noted that there was no way for the dwarf to have been smooshed without him actually crawling up the grain shoot. Weird. Redsun then noticed a very strange glint up in the shoot. A gold coin. Looked like Droman had been lured by something into putting himself into a dangerous spot, and then the brake on the wheel “slipped”. Huh.

I gave a quick flyabout outside the mill and noticed a dead cat with its head smashed in. Huh.

With no further clues at the mill, we decided to head to the fishing spot. Elisen made a good suggestion that if the “Unsinkable II” had been scuttled, we might need a boat to check it out. We circled back to the fishermen and found one who was willing to take us upriver, an older human named Skinner. He took us out on a boat named the “Orca”, (named after some type of giant river shark or something?). We volunteered to bail to keep the old gal afloat long enough for us to arrive. Yay!

Sketch of the boat:

Once we got near the fishing spot, we could see the “Unsinkable II” tied off to a tree on the bank. Jarock quickly learned that five days of having fish rot in the hold can lead to stomach troubles when poking around in the pile. We were able to follow t’skrang tracks from the boat to a disturbed area where it looked like a fight or something had happened, but we couldn’t really figure out what was going on. We did find a crow with it’s head bashed in nearby, but huh?

We back-tracked from the disturbed area, and it looked like dwarf footprints headed back along a path by the river. Skinner wanted to salvage the “Unsinkable II” (I think it had less leaks) and tied it off to ride in tandem with the Orca. I took the helm, and with Jarock and Mal for crew we helped Skinner bring the Orca back while Elisen and Redsun walked along the bank checking tracks and for stuff out of place. Big mistake. Splitting the party even by 100 yards is just NEVER a good idea, but we were trying to accommodate the fisherman kind enough to give us a lift even tho Elisen’s dyre wasn’t getting on no boat no how.

Anyway, next thing we know Redsun is screaming about Mynbruje and he and Elisen are fighting on the shore. We fly over as quick as we can, but the fight is over and Elisen is standing over a dead windling. Seems he skewered a horror and it transformed into a younger version of him, or something. Redsun saw the horror as Mynbruje, but now it’s a kid, or something? Wasn’t really clear on how all that worked.

Anyway, we continue to follow the tracks and they lead to…. Da da DUM…. The mayor’s house. We quickly figure out the mayor and his wife have been replaced by horrors. The mayor replacement was the horror Elisen killed, but his wife was grabbing canaries out of a cage, smashing their heads in, and transforming into… …Elisen’s Zoak / mount…. …which Elisen is riding the real one of… …outside the house… …because that will confuse us? Huh? Seems the horrors need a “small life” to fuel their impersonation, but I just wasn’t buying the zoak transformation trick.

Anyway, I keep an eye on the astral and yell about the oncoming ghouls the horror is leading and much mayhem ensues. The horror keeps zinging out spells and I keep dispelling ‘em as fast as they are cast, much to the horror’s annoyance. The guys make paste of the horror and the goons. Go us!

After the dust settles, the mayor’s wife zoak horror thing transforms into a baby orc ala Jarock. We burn it to ash as a precaution, and tell the townsfolk that the mayor and his wife were killed by and then impersonated by the horrors who had committed the murders, but that the bad guys are all dead now.

The testimony of Redsun as questor of Mynbruje seems to help a lot as he explains to the towns people what happened.

I am not sure if other Deceiver nests have been found in the area near Throal, but I would suggest a detailed review of anti-agent protocols in light of the increase in Deceiver activity in the area.

Yours in Service,

Nib

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:45 pm

Some of my friends came to visit me, Nib, Mal, Jarock and Elisen with his Dyre, in Sosanopa from Throal. We were enjoying a lovely lunch at a lovely tavern along the river when a T'skrang body floated past us. We quickly dragged the corpse along side the wharf and started to examine the body. The tavern keeper seemed a little put out by our investigation. The T'skrang was stabbed and dumped in the river, I recognized him as a local fisherman, Tk'swan.

As we were examining Tk'swan the Mayor Fields appeared and started to ask us some questions. As a questor of Mynbruje I offered to investigate this murder and the rest of my companions joined me. Mayor Fields also mentioned that the local miller, Droman Miller passed away in an accident a couple of days ago.

We started to ask around town about Tk'Swan and Droman and neither seemed to have any known enemies as Tk'swan is a loner and Droman had a wife and while people didn't like his pricing it was nothing more than local grumbling. We headed to the mill as it's located in town to investigate the scene where Droman perished. While we were there we didn't see any signs of a struggle or anything untoward. I did notice a single gold coin which Droman would of had to climb onto the mill to reach. So we now have a theory on why Droman was on the mill, as he was likely reaching for the coin.

Outside Nib noticed a dead cat but we were unable to find any other clues. Though Jarock had an interesting theory about a sky raider gang which dropped the gold coin and the cat jumped after it. Mal suspected that this was unlikely as why would a cat be on sky raider sky ship.

We hired a fishing boat to take us upstream to find Tk'swan's boat. Elissn and his Dyre weren't going to fit on the boat so I decided to join them on the shore walking. We found Tk'swan's boat moored on the shore and once again no sign of any struggle on the boat though I was able to track his movements to a clearing near by. In the clearing we found signs of a struggle and some blood likely from Tk'swan along with a dead crow.

We spent the rest of the day searching the area and slept before heading back to town in the morning. The local fisherman wanted our help in bringing back Tk'swang's boat. Elisen and myself headed back on foot with the rest sailing back to town. On the road back I noticed an old troll who looks a lot like Mynbruje in mortal form. I tell Elisen that I wanted to approach the troll and see if he knows anything about what is going on. We also let the rest of the party know of my foolish decision. I didn't have a good feeling about this as how likely was it that Mynbruje would appear here on the road.

The troll started to cast a spell and I ready my crossbow and let Elisen know that something was definitely amiss. The troll casts blindness on me and I also have a reaction to Mynbruje attacking me and I feel very unsure of myself. Elisen wastes no time and charges the troll and grievously wounds him, as I run behind a large boulder for cover. The rest of the party is quickly making their way over to us but I don't know how long it will take them to reach us.

Nib reaches us first and casts dispel magic to cure my blindness and when I look to where the troll of Mynbruje was I see a tiny windling body. Elisen has managed to kill it? him? Elisen tells us that he fought the troll of Mynbruje but once he had killed it the body transformed into a child, actually Elisen as a child. We discuss it and we figure that this is likely a Horror of some kind as nothing else makes sense of everything that this thing could do. We quickly burn the body and I find some tracks which I follow back to the river. Once there I discover a different set of tracks, dwarven tracks that head back to Sosanopa. We follow the tracks back to the mayor's house.

We talk with the Mayor's wife and something seems off about her and the house in general. Nib astrally perceives and finds that there are some other creatures in the basement of the house. After our discussion with the mayors wife she transforms into Elisen's prized Zoak and calls out to the basement.

Jarock bashes in one of the doors and we are faced off with some ghouls and Elisen's Zoak. We quickly take down the ghouls and the Zoak? Mayor's Wife? who becomes a child who looks a lot like Jarock once he strikes it down. After everyone sees the transformation we are convinced that we are dealing with some horrors. We set the body into the fireplace and Nib magically burns the body while I inform the local guard of what we have discovered. I explain that it's likely that the Mayor and his wife were killed several days ago and that the horrors just recently assumed their place.

I must figure out a way to discover shapeshifters amongst us as I have no been faced with Deceiver's, dopplegangers and spirits possessing people.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 pm

From the memoirs of Elisen of clan Adorjan, Haressa-tis and Lore Keeper

I had drifted north to Sosanopa mostly to put as much distance between me and lake Ban as I could. While I contemplated if I wanted to cross the river and wander further, maybe go take a look at the ruins I'd visited with that weird trader Mazor wanted to kill for being horror touched (see my Songs of Passion) Nib, Mal, and Jarock invited me to dinner. A good dinner with friends is always a good way to lift spirits so I gladly accepted.

For reference the dinner party included:
- Nib of clan Skyreader, a windling Wizard
- Jarock Hammer-Shield, an orc Weaponsmith
- Malonin "Mal" Tyrnith, an elven Archer
- Redsun Thandrun, a troll Archer and Questor of Mynbruje

The dinner was lovely with abundant fresh catch from the river but came to a sudden halt when we spotted a body floating downriver. I quickly flew out on Jacint to drag it back to shore, where the others started examining it. The corpse was identified a local t'skrang fisherfolk by Redsun, some questions to the locals later, we learnt that they were called Tk'swan and hadn't been seen in almost a week after going upriver to an unusual fishing spot.

Nib collected some more information about the fisherfolk's boat, while we were approached by the mayor of Sosanopa, a dwarf that went by the family name Fields. Apparently this was the second murder in the last few days, the previous being the miller (family name Miller) who was found crushed in his own mill.

Nib and Redsun really got into the idea of investigating, so we went to the mill and talked to the miller's widow. Looking around we didn't find much other than a gold coin awkwardly placed in the middle of the mill and a dead cat outside whose head had been bashed in. Redsun theorized that the coin was used as bait to lure the miller on top of the grindstones. Redsun's attempt to follow the coin's trail back to something failed.

The next step we took was to investigate the fishing spot the Tk'swan had been working at, some twenty five miles up river (one wonders how good the fishing must be to warrant over a day of travel each way). Nib was very concerned about Tk'swan having been sunk so they insisted we hire a boat for the trip. On the other hand I was very concerned about what Isidoros would do to one of the boats the fishermen so I pushed for just going along the banks. In the end we split with Redsun joining me on the banks and the rest in a hired boat.

The trip went without incident and the next day we found a small inlet where a boat matching Tk'swan was moored, with the catch still on it, judging from the smell. I thought Jarock insisted on checking the cargo, but I must have misunderstood because most of what they did was vomit breakfast.

Redsun looked around the area and found some signs of struggle, while Mal found a dead crow, against with a bashed in head. Neither was able to find tracks other than to and from the boat. Jarock finally mentioned something that was not about mysterious airship gangs when they mentioned that some horrors are thought to user lives to power their magic.

We decide to sleep here for the night and go back the next day, just in case something happened. Some discussion about watch schedules was had but I pretty much ignored it, Teh was now fully trained to keep watch through the night.

On the way back we split between ground and boat once again, with the added complication of towing Ts'kwan's boat. About fives miles out of Sosanopa, Redsun and I spotted an old troll riding a dyre in the middle of a meadow. Redsun thought it may be an aspect of Minbruje and approached, while I called out to the boats. When I turned back the troll was backing away and Redsun started following, so I joined them.

Once we were well out of sight of the river, the troll stopped and Redsun greeted them and then approached. Moments later they were screaming about being blind. Now, I am no questor, but I was and still am pretty sure that a passion would not suddenly blind one of their own questors on a whim, so on the likely chance this was a trap of some kind I charged. Anklebiter bit deep and even if the thing tried to stop Jacint in their tracks we quickly killed it.

At which point it turned in a baby windling, a very me shaped baby windling. Odd but no more odd than looking like Minbruje moments before. I went to check on Redsun who seemed ok, if startled and waited for the other to arrive, assuming they would have questions about the corpse. To my surprise Nib and Mal did not care at all. Jarock had some questions, but once I explained what happened they mentioned there are some stories of horrors behaving like this.

Redsun managed to follow the horror's tracks (which changed shape multiple times) all the way back to Sosanopa and to the mayor's house. There I tried to talk to their partner who seemed rather concerned until they slammed the windows closed. Nib mentioned the thing inside had changed shape from a dwarf to a Zoak, and some other things were moving around.

So we assumed it was another horror, barged in, killed the horror (Jarock delivered the killing blow and it turned into a baby ork) and its ghouls. We cremated the horror's body (Nib was very eager to do this) to avoid awkward questions and then reported to the guard.

Afterwards, I returned to Throal to visit the clan, my parents were happy to see me again and we spent more than a little time busking around the Grand Bazar like when I was a child. I was also called by the noble, who gifted me with two of the clan treasures, a suit of crystal plate and a crystal raider shield that have been with the clan since long before the scourge, to honour my deeds defending Throal and the clan from the horrors.

The gift and the implied support from my clan greatly heartened me and lifted some of the sense of despair and futility I've felt since Ursal's death. However with the items was a note, possibly dating to the last time they were used that still puzzles me to this day:
"Beware the gloves bearing gifts"