Renegade Legion line

Discussion on topics that aren't specifically related to current FASA product lines or don't fit elsewhere.
Sallidar
Renegade Legion line

Post by Sallidar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 am

Hello to all,

I just found out tonight about this place. I have been a fan of FASA games since my grandmother bought me my first box set of BattleTech in 1986. I had been going on and on about Transformers the Movie and she found it and, being a grandma and not really knowing the difference, bought it for me since it was a game I could play with my friends. And, boy, did I ever do that. Everything from one and one Solaris matches to 36 on 36 with a company of tanks and CAS from overflying fighters, my friends and I did it all.

Being exposed to that kind of game prompted me to look into other types of games, and with FASA I didn't have to go far. Renegade Legion was the next thing I tried and it was awesome. A different, yet still full backstory and a different style of warfare. I especially loved Leviathan and would design entire fleets that were specialized to do various types of attacks. I have had a love of wargaming ever since.

Now, with that all said, I have recently been enjoying the current boom of people getting into wargaming and boardgaming in general. And I have always kept tabs on, and played, Battletech, Shadowrun and many others. But there has never been a reissue or relaunch of Renegade Legion. It prompted me to look int why and there isn't really a lot of explanation. As far as I can determine, the license is with FASA Corp, which I understand to just be a legal entity to hold IPs. But if it has this IP, couldn't it license it out? With the resurgence of boardgames, it would seem to be something that could really take hold, if it can find a market of course.

I am not sure if the old FASA guys watch this board or not, but really I am asking anyone. Has there ever been any sort of statement regarding Renegade Legion and whether it might be resurrected at some poine?

Thanks for your time,

Sallidar

tl;dr What's up with the Renegade Legion license?

Andrew1879

Re: Renegade Legion line

Post by Andrew1879 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:00 pm

We have in fact considered bringing back Renegade Legion. Unfortunately, the IP rights to it are badly muddled. We've been trying to get them sorted out but thus far not been able to clear everything well enough to republish, much less develop new material, which we would prefer vs. just bringing back the old games. Bear with us; if this works out, we'll put out an announcement.

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:05 pm

I know its not FASA or official stuff, but there is a fairly active (considering the age of the game) group on Facebook dedicated to all things Renegade Legion. :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/rlinternational/
Todd Bogenrief
Noble Armada Line Developer, U18 Rules Guru

Sallidar

Post by Sallidar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 pm

Wow, thanks Andrew! That is great news and I hope things go well for acquiring the license. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Bogie, thanks for this. I had looked at this group once a long time ago but when I quit Facebook I lost touch. I will have to take a look to see what they are up to. Appreciate it!

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:00 pm

I think they have some other war-games in the lineup too, right? There's a war-game component to 1879, I know. I'm more of an act-tor and less of a general, so I don't do the war-games except an excuse to beer with buddies.

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, in minis we have 1879, Demonworld, and Noble Armada, so you've got steampunk, dark fantasy, and starships available.

AquaAlex

Post by AquaAlex » Fri May 18, 2018 10:28 pm

REN LEG!!!
Bring back oh bring back my Ren Leg to me, to me :)

zircher

Post by zircher » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Small tangent, I really miss the original SSI Renegade Legion: Interceptor. (Not Jacob's Star) The original was very faithful to the board game but allowed you to play so much more faster and easier. Hell, I would dedicate all my programming and 3d modeling hobby time to bringing that back to life if it could be done legally (a fan-ware license would be a dream.) There was so much more that SSI RL:I could have done with new units, missions, and campaign play.

It was a crying shame that Centurian and Leviathan did not get the same treatment or allow for mixed gaming, like the Omnitrend games Breach 3 and Rules of Engagement 2.

[edit for typo]
Last edited by zircher on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zircher

Post by zircher » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Andrew1879 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:00 pm
We have in fact considered bringing back Renegade Legion. Unfortunately, the IP rights to it are badly muddled. We've been trying to get them sorted out but thus far not been able to clear everything well enough to republish, much less develop new material, which we would prefer vs. just bringing back the old games. Bear with us; if this works out, we'll put out an announcement.
Just curious if there has been any progress on this front. I know that muddy waters take time to settle. Hopefully 10 months has offered some clarity.
--
TAZ

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Sadly, ten months has barely begun the slog through the legal morass ....more news on this story as it develops