Passions and Questors - What Would You Like to See?1

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Utsukushi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Passions and Questors - What Would You Like to See?1

Postby Utsukushi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:05 pm

I've always seen the Passions as being Great Patterns, so handling Questors as weaving Threads to such a Pattern makes a lot of sense to me. My only problem with it is that it does limit Questors to Adept-only.. but honestly, the idea that non-Adepts should be able to be Questors mostly makes sense seeing them from a more religious standpoint, and I'm in the camp that appreciates Earthdawn for its... agnosticism. Right now, only Adepts can really be Questors, and there's no real reason why -- handling them as Patterns would help clarify a lot of the rules for those, not really change the status-quo in terms of who-can-be-a-Questor, smooth out and enhance the effects of being a Questor, and clarify the metaphysics.

If this doesn't become canon, I think I'm going to houserule it...<grin>

Otherwise, to be quite honest, I'm pretty happy with the Passions being highly ambiguous forces. GMs can do what they want with them and don't have to justify it too much, and for pseudo divine forces, that's a good place for them to be. Too much of weighing the Passions themselves down with mechanics, or even specifics, would be bad. Although more customized Harbingers could be cool, I agree.

On the quasi-related note, Hollowbone wasn't suggesting dropping Purifiers, just handling them differently. Looking at them through a different lens. I'd like to see that, too, presumably in the Companion. Lightbringers were neat; they didn't really work because there was no precedent for them. Offering other major Group Patterns like that would fit the cosmology, and could do some Really Neat Things. Some of those Disciplines that required half their Talents to be custom-made do indeed strike me as a good place to look for inspiration. If I were doing this, I'd consider Horror Stalkers, too, but it's probably too late for that. Liberators and Purifiers sound like excellent candidates to me. And Blood Wardens. It could offer an interesting take on the Elven Paths, too, which have never really been workable in practice. Groups like the Eyes of Throal might have an established Pattern greater than the `current membership' that a standard adventuring Group Pattern can stabilize, too. Hmm...

Harlequin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Harlequin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 pm

This might be pushing it a little but maybe the book could have a section about false idols?

After all, Verjigorm had a cult and is known as the Horror worshiped as a Passion.
And let's not forget Ristulars as well, could be nice to have a section dedicated to those cults, but that's just my opinion on the matter ;)

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:15 am

I like the inclusion of that idea. Could also do some further development with groups like the Keys of Death. With the belief-creates-reality mechanic of Earthdawn's magic, I could see a lot of potential to create some more minor cult/religious groups that can pull enough followers to get some minor powers.

Return to “Product Discussion”