Questions about Travar, Elven Nations, Questors, & Metaplot

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
LouProsperi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Questions about Travar, Elven Nations, Questors, & Metaplot

Postby LouProsperi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Hello,

After reading all the previews and comments from the development team, I've come to realize that what I really care about most with ED is the world and its story. While many people like ED for its system, I believe the game's setting is its strongest feature. It's also the part of the game that I'm most proud of when I think back to my time working on the game.

IMO, one of the biggest mistakes that RedBrick made during their time with ED was to not move the game's timeline and story forward. Note that I don't think they were in an easy position. The whole situation with LRG's "Barsaive at War" really complicated things, since they didn't want to produce a duplicate product, but at the same time, didn't want to inherit what LRG had done.

On the other side, one of the (again, IMO) best aspects of 4E is that they are going to move the game forward.

So, let's look at what we know about the setting, shall we? We know the following about the state of the ED world (based on previews, and interviews Josh has given):

* The 4E game is set 5 years after the end of the second Theran War

* King Neden died at some point during that war.

* Throal was faced with the risk of civil war, but is largely at peace for the moment.

* A group of dwarfs from Throal have taken steps to re-establish the old dwarf kingdom of Scytha

* The Therans have been driven from Vivane (and presumably Sky Point as well, but that has not been confirmed), and the Barsaivian Resistance has taken over

[we may know more than this, but I can't find any more specifics]

FWIW, I think the idea to skip past the war with Thera is a very good one. It simplifies things a great deal, and allows the game to move forward.

All that said, I have a couple of questions about the planned supplements and how they do (or do not) tie into the current storyline of the ED world.

First, will the game world and story (aka "metaplot") continue to move forward in future products and supplements? I truly believe that telling the story of the Earthdawn world through the lens of various products and supplements was one of the reasons Earthdawn is so highly regarded for its setting. It was a living world.

Second, from a world-based story perspective, why are we learning about Travar, the Elven Nations, and Questors now?

How do the planned supplements tie into the current state of Barsaive? How do they reflect the state of affairs following the war? Will they plant new seeds to upcoming situations?

For example, here are some questions about these settings/subjects that (hopefully) help tie them into the current situation in Barsaive:

Regarding Travar: has Travar become a more prominent/important city in Barsaive following the death of King Neden and the brush with civil war? Does the government of Travar (or a faction with the government) hope to supplant Throal as the defacto capital of Barsaive? Do they want to promote an actual civil war, one in which they can support one side to hopefully control the outcome?

Regarding Elven Nations: Is there unrest in the elven nations? Is there brewing conflict with the Blood Wood? Do the rules of the elven nations wish to reclaim the Elven Court? Do they hope to heal the Blood Wood?

Regarding Questors: Are there confilcts brewing between the Passions or their followers? Is Death really trapped beneath Death's Sea, and if so, how long will it hold? What role, if any, did the Passions and their Questors play in the overthrow of the Therans in Vivane?

My main point is that I hope FASA Games will follow the model created by FASA Corporation, and not just publish these books *because*, but will use them to help tell the story of the Earthdawn world.

Take Care,

Lou

Nahor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Questions about Travar, Elven Nations, Questors, & Metap

Postby Nahor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm

I echo these sentiments. I love the meta plot and it never got in the way much as some people might think who don't like it. It was there, take it or leave it. A GM could easily circumnavigate the entire meta plot and just have characters in the world of ED. So for those who do like it, don't forgo it, please!

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:38 pm

shiinx

Postby shiinx » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 am

Actually, having sourcebooks drive on the metaplot has always given me mixed feelings. On the one hand it is very good to see that the world does not stand still. On the other hand, when not buying all books, or in the wrong order, you easily become lost. That said, I don't know of a better mode to do this. Having dedicated books that drive forward the metaplots and cover all that has been written before, also does not seem to be the right choice. Maybe having a timeline with the important events online, and the book titles next to it where they tie in would be a good idea; maybe even in each book, sacrifice one-two pages for it.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:35 am

In my Barsaive Alachia was stabbed with the Everliving Flower by the members of Seekers of the Heart living legend cult and Alamaise burnt the Elven Palace at the end of Mists of Betrayal. After that she raised from the ashes, without thorns and sat on the Rose Throne which bloomed first time since Scourge. This started her open quest to heal Forest Heart. That was major change in setting proposed but I am proud of it :D
Duvvelsheyss

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 am

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:05 pm

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:20 pm

https://sites.google.com/site/ageoflege ... wn/history

this is the most detailed timeline I found but It may contain unofficial stuff.
Duvvelsheyss

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:39 pm

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:31 pm

My biggest question about advancing the timeline is, how do the Horrors fit in? Is their influence waning, or are they still a major influence?

Return to “Product Discussion”