Seeking some feedback on a possible ED4 change

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Rajaat99
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Seeking some feedback on a possible ED4 change

Postby Rajaat99 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Danger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Danger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:20 pm

etherial

Postby etherial » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:58 am

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:25 am

I proposed basing Knockdown diffuculty with STR or Wound Balance. Same cratures kahve knockdown even higher than that.
Duvvelsheyss

Kcinlive

Postby Kcinlive » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Getting rid of UR/DR would be a hard sell with my group. I also don't see the big need for a strain pool. I haven't really seen anyone hesitant to take strain, unless they're really low on health. And in that case, they're in trouble anyway.

I would personally like knockdown to be a static number, not a calculation. I "always" seem to mess up the calculation when I do it at the table. But it's not a huge deal.

-Kcinlive

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:40 pm

I think, rather, the new edition is an excuse to consider a bunch of rules changes.

People do not get into running a game company so they can make a big cash grab. There are simply many, many ways to make much more money with much less risk.

Keep DR/UR, dump KD test - the test, not the DN. Any time you can eliminate a test, you've improved the game. Any time you eliminate a math problem - no matter how simple - you've improved the game. I don't do addition and subtraction for fun.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 am

Ryval

Postby Ryval » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:40 am

Knockdown in my game was relegated to whenever we remembered to use it. So, I agree that that math must be made simpler. The result is that sometimes a character should be knocked on their backside. Just create a knockdown number (Wound Threshold+Strength step or whatever) and when that damage is reached in one blow, you're down. Wound threshold should have a window between it and knockdown like a window between UR and DR; there would be one for a wound and a wound-that-knocked-you-down. I always thought Wound Balance was a ridiculous talent.

And what light-weights are you playing with that can't handle a strain-drain? Jeez.
Strain, unconsciousness, initiative, and knock-down are all in the game with respect to G-A-M-E---B-A-L-A-N-C-E so that no one thing can be exploited to anyone's advantage (player or GM). I describe Strain as a *nearly*-pulled muscle after a workout - you know it when you feel it. I've never instituted a house rule for it, but I suppose if I had to I'd say that no one could use more Strain in a single round that their Toughness step (if they do, that would be another Wound received.

Keep a gap between UR and DR. This (among MANY other things) sets it apart from D&D, which is always what I've described Earthdawn to be: D&D done right. Hell, even in recent incarnations D&D has ripped off whole bunches of ED mechanics, so ED had it right the first time out. Don't let ED become a D&D clone (with the open games license there were plenty, thank you).

In my group as GM I was instituting the rule of if your Armor-defeating damage was 2x or 3x your wound threshold you took 2 or 3 wounds (respectively). Believe me, the characters suffering those wounds backed off a bit in times like that. Then they pointed out to me that nowhere (except for Falling Damage) do multiple wounds get incurred simultaneously. So i had to go back to one wound at a time (grumble).

And as far as combat being too slow I always describe it as a John Woo film. Everything moves at normal speed until the fighting starts. Then it's High-Def Slo-Mo. :-)

Danger

Postby Danger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:44 am

Return to “Product Discussion”