Kickstarter!

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Nahor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kickstarter!

Postby Nahor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Update #3 is up. :)

zayven
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:45 pm

zayven

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:55 pm

I know I keep making comparisons to Shadowrun, but that game's release history is a good model. First and second editions are nearly identical, with second edition being more akin to a 1.5 edition than a truly "new" edition. Third edition, however, featured a lot of mechanical tweaks and totally new artwork throughout.

There's a really insightful developer's note in the preface (or afterward) of Shadowrun 3e that says something to the effect of "when this game came out, it was competing with other rpgs; today, it has to compete with rpgs, video games, collectable card games, and the internet." The point was that the world had changed since the game was released and it had to adapt to those new market conditions if it wanted to survive. Similarly, when Earthdawn came out in 1994, it didn't have to compete with MMORPGs, Euro-board games, Xbox Live/PSN, freely available OGL games, iOS/Android games, and Netflix. In 2014, the game needs to do more to stand out and convince people to play Earthdawn instead of turning to those other options.

Of course, this was also the thinking behind 4th edition D&D and we all saw how the gaming community reacted to that one.

I didn't say it was a path without risk! :)

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Very good points on your posts zayven. I wish the boards had a thank and rep system.

If FASA ever decides to do a message board makeover, check out ChiCitySports' message board. It is very powerful and has an IM on the top layer as well. :)

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:33 pm

Update #4 is out.

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:45 pm

My only question is...

Why is there so many other freaking books listed as Stretch Goals when this Kickstarter should be totally focused on the new Core Books of the new game line? Why not focus all the attention on making the Players and GM Guide books as freaking awesome as humanly possible?

first Stretch Goals - All artwork will be brand new artwork.
second Stretch Goal - All books will be full color.
third Stretch Goal - All physical books during the Kickstarter will come with a map of Barsaive in the back of the book.
fourth Stretch Goal - Add-on for a Game Master's Screen and free pdf of the GM Screen.
fifth Stretch Goal - Vinyl Map of Barsaive Add-on (and add a new Pledge Award Tier for getting the two core books along with the map)
sixth Stretch Goal - All Hardback books during the Kickstarter for backers will be deluxe leather editions
seventh Stretch Goal - Pay increase for all writers and designers writing these books (I believe the writers should get a pay increase after doing all these).
eighth Stretch Goal - Increase page count by X number of words in the GM's Guide for an increased Beastiary.
ninth Stretch Goal - Atlas of Barsaive (with maps of Throal, Vivane, the Blood Wood, Parlainth, and one other location voted upon by the backers) plus a few maps representing towns and wilderness areas for playing on.
tenth Stretch Goal - A Plot-Point Campaign adventure path related to these maps of towns and wilderness areas, pdf's free for all backers and a finished Hardcover versions available at (insert price).

I mean... these two books should be freaking awesome.

This is your company's chance to show that you can produce something fantastic... right now you are trying to include too many different and various things... 5 or 6 books, pins, t-shirts, and all these other extras that will take funds away from what should matter most...

The Players and GMs Guide to 4th edition Earthdawn.

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:49 pm

Other ideas that could seriously increase the potential amount you get during the KS...

include all who pledge at a certain level as playtesters so you can get as much feedback as possible.
include an option to allow us to either get at a separate Pledge Tier the 3rd edition Earthdawn books in either pdf or physical book format or both in addition to the upcoming 4th edition game books...
or just have as an Add-on the 3rd edition game line in pdf only for a lump price (like $30 for all 3rd edition Earthdawn game books in pdf) and once the KS is over than you will send the download links for these books... this has been done plenty of times in previous KS's for other games.

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 pm

aprewett

Postby aprewett » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:41 pm

Hello,
I am going to post this here but imagine it will get buried.
Over my lunch break I saw the email about pledging an extra $10 for a pdf of Travar. I did this but forgot/ or did not see a place to mention what I was pledging the extra amount for.
I hope this can be resolved closer to the release date, or if someone knows how I can add a comment to my pledge about what the extra was for.

Thanks
Allan

etherial

Postby etherial » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:01 am

Return to “Product Discussion”