Kickstarter!

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Nahor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kickstarter!

Postby Nahor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:08 am

Trejes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Trejes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:36 am

Don't know how much printing costs. Would it be soo much more expensive to let all the backers choose the size of the books they get? Or, if the decision was made to go with digest size books for the game shops, would it be more expensive to give out some kickstarter only large books?

I'm for sure going with the hardcovers plus shipping outside the US (30 $). For that amount of money I really would like to have two "real" rpg books like in old times.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:06 am

etherial

Postby etherial » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:33 am

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:41 am

Puh, ok, so no choosing the size, I understand your points.

Then I have to vote for the old, big size. I like that one way better.

zayven

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:48 am

I really don't see why the digest thing is such a deal breaker for people.

Digest size seems to be gaining steam as a new standard for second tier rpg publications. FATE, Savage Worlds, Burning Wheel, Legend, and Colonial Gothic are some of the major examples I can think of off the top of my head and I've seen a lot more floating around online. I haven't read this fanzine article that Drucifer mentions (a link would be helpful), but it sure seems like a lot of companies have shifted to digest size over the last few years. It seems strange to me that the format could be so unpopular in the industry when so many companies are choosing to use it.

While my personal preference is for full sized books, that's mostly because I've been buying rpgs in that format for twenty years. I can't give an objective reason for why full size format is superior to digest size (other than bigger artwork). If anything, digest size is a hell of a lot more practical for the gaming table. I really resisted the idea of digest size for a long time until I finally held a copy of Savage Worlds Deluxe in my hands and realized how much easier it was to handle.

In any event, it seems like everyone at FASA is being very responsive to fan concerns about this issue. The Kickstarter isn't even over for 3 1/2 more weeks; I don't think there's any harm in giving them a week or two to take all of the factors into consideration (printing cost, Kickstarter revenue, fan concerns, etc) before making an official announcement on the physical characteristics of the finalized books.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:48 am

FWIW, I don't have a true problem with digest size, but I don't think it is the right format for Earthdawn, at least not for the core books. The reason for this is very simple; stories. One of the things that sets Earthdawn apart is the inclusion of in-character stories and fluff along with the rules. That is an awful lot of material to pack on to a page even at full size. Digest sizes are handy when they mostly contain reference material. I wouldn't be opposed to looking at digest size later for something that doesn't have as much material as the core books, things like the companion or a creatures or Horrors book. I wouldn't even mind later coming out with a book just for spells. Something digest sized that is just used for a refererence without having to dig through the core books would be handy.

zayven

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:48 pm

etherial

Postby etherial » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:34 pm

As someone else said on rpg.net: I don't care the size (at least not really), just what's between the covers. I like the idea of fiction on one side then mechanics to support it akin to what Etheriel said.

I have to say I don't get what people are complaining about across the mediums about not wanting a copy/paste job. Surely a lot of material that isn't changed will be re-used. I see almost zero need to re-invent the wheel when it comes to certain things content wise such as a discipline description or spell description or even a creature description, let alone what has come before (sure they'll be adding 5 years so that's actually additional materials as opposed to ditching the old). Sure they could be revised/rewritten entirely, but then that's time/effort/money that could be better spent on art. I guess when it comes to just pure content I'd like to see maybe a 38% new to 50% old and 12% revised/reworded. :) Mechanic wise though well let's see what you got! Art wise, I'd like to see 66% new period. I love a lot of the old art, but I've also seen it for the last 15+ years since I started playing the game and for the most part, I'll not even count 2nd editions manga/anime-esque art. Blech! -- no offense to any who may have done that art, it's just not to my taste for ED. Huge Akira fan. :D

Return to “Product Discussion”