Giving Ground

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Giving Ground

Postby Mataxes » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:42 pm

A question for you players (and GMs) out there.

How much use does the Giving Ground combat option see in your games?
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Giving Ground

Postby etherial » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:06 pm

I'd probably use it if playing ED3, what with the reasonable movement rates and hex-based combat. But I've never seen it in play.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:04 pm

I never used it in Ed 1/2, but at that time I was not aware of how ED paralleled AD&D combat, and that Giving Ground was the first step in turning things into a chase/withdrawing from close combat (called "Fighting Retreat" in D&D because otherwise, your opponent gets a free attack roll in 1-minute round D&D). In the ED3 version I've used it much more efficiently (after going back and re-playing some D&D combat), but it may be worth looking at critically.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:15 am

Once used by my players when they were running up the hill to escape from bog gobs. They prefer easier Defensive Stance. But if you mention that I will try to "force" them to use it on my next session and see what they gonna tell about it :)
Duvvelsheyss

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 pm

I've never seen it used by any of the players in my gaming groups and I've never used it as a GM or a player myself. Having said that, there are probably a lot of Earthdawninsh things my group don't do. I've never seen or had any character that was multi-disciplined and I've been playing Earthdawn from 1st edition.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Never.

Mogre

Postby Mogre » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Never. If you're looking at saving some space, this would be the place to do it. I would say that nobody would notice, but, we all know how some gamers can be about the smallest of details.

zayven

Postby zayven » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:06 am

As with most of the combat options (aside from the Aggressive/Defensive stances), my group remarked at how cool it was and then proceeded to never use it in play.

If you're addressing combat issues, though, any attempts to streamline the knockdown rules would be greatly appreciated!

Heretikzer0

Postby Heretikzer0 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:51 am

Despite being aware of that option, to date none of my players have ever used it.
Heretikzer0
Earthdawn Enthusiast
http://earthdawnadepts.blogspot.com/

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:36 pm

Never, the players know about it but just won't. Of course some of them would rather die than retreat so there is that....

Return to “For Players”