Earthdawn: Fourth Edition coming in 2014

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Flowswithdrek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Earthdawn: Fourth Edition coming in 2014

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:33 am

Flowswithdrek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:37 am

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:44 pm

Sethariel

Postby Sethariel » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:38 pm

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:45 pm

I am after session with battle including a lot of Namegivers and... do something to simplify rules for that or to make it faster :D
Duvvelsheyss

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:44 pm

zayven

Postby zayven » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:24 am

For all the hand-wringing over the game system and marketing, the sad truth is that neither of these things will matter as much as the production values. The bar is just so much higher now than it was twenty years ago. Take a look at the latest edition of Shadowrun, for example. That game is freaking gorgeous. The same goes for the Warhammer games from FFG and any Pathfinder product. If a game doesn't have top notch production values, it's pretty much doomed to Drivethrurpg obscurity.

That's why the artwork Kickstarter is so important. If 4th edition doesn't have the full color artwork to match the kind of quality you see in other top notch rpg products, it will not be able to rise above the niche market that Earthdawn has occupied for the last decade. Maybe I'm being overly ambitious, but I've always wanted Earthdawn to at least be comparable to Shadowrun in terms of popularity. The latest edition of Shadowrun (as well as the 20th anniversary edition that came out a few years ago) set an extremely high bar that FASA Games may not have the ability to reach. It's probably unfair of me to expect Earthdawn to match those production values, but I'd rather see the game aim high and fail than settle for being conservative and moderately successful.

Then again, I'm not the one paying the bills for FASA Games! It's easy for me to say that 4th edition should shoot for the stars when I don't have to face the consequences of all that ambition blowing up in the company's face.

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:58 am

I see nothing wrong with the Die Step system... its actually one of my favorite things about Earthdawn and if it wasn't for this unique system (it was definitely unique at the time IMO) I probably would have never gotten into the game and I think the system was way ahead of its time. If ever there was a time to really showcase the Die Step system its now after the decade of d20 glut we were on the receiving end.

I really feel that people want something new now.

My idea... Drop the 4th edition part, and just call this Earthdawn.

Treat it like its a brand new game, and make it shiny. :D

Even if the system got changed... whatever system the designers go with MUST showcase the magic of the setting. That's always been the one thing about Earthdawn that has kept it separated from the rest. Keep Legend Points, Keep how the game uses Legend Points in buying them to increase in both Circles within Disciplines as well as tying Threads of magic items to characters. That must be kept.

IMO, you can change the core dice system to any kind of system, but if this aspect of Earthdawn was taken out of the game, how Legend Points work and how they are used to increase in power, than that is not Earthdawn.

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:23 am

Return to “Product Discussion”