Earthdawn: Fourth Edition coming in 2014

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Slimcreeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Earthdawn: Fourth Edition coming in 2014

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:29 am

I agree with Darth Quiris on the skills. I hate reading 'this skill is just like the talent, but kinda weak'.

Derwyd
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Derwyd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 am

Earthdawn Fourth Edition is re-awakening my interest in the game after many years. But I'd like to know how are you going to handle the metaplot. Or Is it going to be metaplot-free?

I'm craving more updates :)

Rajaat99

Postby Rajaat99 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:41 pm

I'll wait a couple of years to see if you just abandon 4th edition, so you can make 5th edition. You know, like you did with EDR. I hate wasting my money.

Sangeet

Postby Sangeet » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:07 pm

I am a long term GM, Fan & Collector of Earthdawn.

When it comes down to rules: Yes the Earthdawn rules, have now Battlegrid rules, since the 3rd Edition, and after i played it with battlemap, it felt just like DnD, mostly because it turned to a strategic board game.
I personally think, FASA should have a peek on Warhammer FRPG and Starwars Edge of the Empire, when they want to have a look how a epic story oriented game should look like. It works without a battlemap, but you can make use a simplified relative Battlemap (WHFRPG).

I think a simplified mechanic, which adds for example a keyword dice and /or symbols to a task /fight resolution may speed up the system, and may allow heroic actions with adding a karma dice, which further adds extraordinary successes to a task.

A good product would inspire creativity, and bring new things on the table. A narrative system, which still has enough crunch to stand as a long term game system. If you have for example a dice with the strength attribute + a dice for the talent you like to use, each side could come up, with an interesting narrative, which creates diversity in the task resolution.

If the only change is: +5 = another success level? Well that sounds not really new. Sounds like ED Revised ?

Anyhow, i would back a new Earthdawn, if there a new source books coming. I would like to see something about Ustrect, and the forgotten Human Kingdom Landis.

Oh, actually there was the "Pathfinder" D20 Rules already done for Earthdawn, so i dont see why this is discussed here ? Probably i am missing the point, but i use the 3rd edition rules, and i think they make a lot more sense than the pathfinder rules. I hate crit, now confirm it.

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Just a quick suggestion. One of the things that always irked me with 3rd edition was how Durability was a choice talent. To me this should be a default talent that is or isn't discipline to all disciplines. It makes no sense to have players have to choose between it and another talent for 2nd circle or the circle range.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Henghyoke

Postby Henghyoke » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:30 pm

zayven

Postby zayven » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Sangeet,

I don't want to bring up the d20 thing again because I don't want to get firebombed by everyone, but I did want to clarify my position. I realize that there was a Pathfinder edition of ED, but by all accounts it was very poorly handled and amounted to little more than extra rules that were bolted on top of the Pathfinder ruleset to give games an ED flavor. I was NOT suggesting that ED be shoehorned into the preexising Pathfinder/d20 system. Obviously, that would be horrible. What I was suggesting was an adaptation of the d20 ruleset that would reflect the essence of ED. The example I gave was Mongoose's d20 edition of Conan. It didn't use any of the preexisting classes from the "core" d20 rules and featured a completely rebuilt magic system that was totally different from the system used in a conventional d20 game. It was an excellent example of how that rules system can be totally rebuilt to embody the essence of a specific setting without compromising the elements that make the system so popular with many gamers.

Anyway, I don't want to get into this argument again because, quite frankly, I don't want to piss everyone off again. I just wanted to clarify my position lest you (or others) think that I'm in favor of the kind of half-assed d20 adaptation that was previously attempted.

Jaracove

Postby Jaracove » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:31 am

For all the smack that has been talked over the years (decades, even!) DnD is Earthdawn's older brother.

Return to “Product Discussion”