Revised GM's Guide

Discussion on the Fading Suns game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
macd21
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Revised GM's Guide

Postby macd21 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Any hint as to when we can get it in print?

Bearman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bearman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:37 am

I’ve only just leafed through it but here’s my initial thoughts.

I like that it has more color than the PG. It seems a bit more wholesome that way.
I also think it looks like it contains just about everything a GM would want.
I already own most of ye olde FS books but having all the planet info neatly tucked into one place is great I think.

Also the treatment of hazards to fling at the players looks like it's right up my alley.
I would’ve liked to see a bit more elaboration on the baddies: ie. psychic covens and antinomists, perhaps with a path or two and a few more fell rites. However I don’t know where it should have been placed since 400 pages is quite a lot already and I don’t think any of the contents should be left out.
Perhaps a GM companion of sorts, with a bit more on Symbiots and Golems would be an idea?

Anywho I like the product. The drugs and poisons section is quite good too I think, as I’ve always liked the idea of sneaky assassin types lurking in the shadows and seedy dens of sin and filth, brimming with lotus-eaters and whatnot.
All in all it looks both solid and decent and I look forward to delving in deeper.
:clap:

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:32 am

macd21: I don't think it is decided really (or I haven't heard an exact date), and I guess it also depend on whether your fans find many typos we need to correct for the paper version, but my gut feeling is sooner rather than later (although, not in 2013 I would imagine - even FS designers celebrate Christmas ;) ).

Bearman: On the GM companion, I've actually had the exact same idea. (This is just a private observation, not an official 'leak' or anything). I thought that perhaps we should make a GM companion and stick all the remaining worlds in that (Universal Church, Merchant League, and a few oddies), together with a few more things as you suggest. It is worth contemplating... or we'll put that stuff somewhere else, we'll see.

Talking about baddies, there were simply not room for more. We went back and forth a bit on whether or not to have the exorcism bit in there with the demons, as it sort of did and sort of didn't belong there, and it eat up precious space. In a perfect world, we'd have a 1000 pages per core book ;)

On the fiefs, you're correct that it is based on the ISs, but you might like to know that there are a lot of subtle updates and corrections throughout. Much work went into collating details from other sources, tying down dates for events, rearranging information into consistent blocks (so you don't have to read an antire planet article to find the 3 scattered descriptions of a city, or whatever), and making it easier to reference with headlines and bullet points. Also, a consistent request from the fan base has been for FS GM core books to include the planet articles, so we crammed in as many as we could ;)

Hopefuly, you'll all find the FSR GM Guide a useful product to have in your game :)

And personally I must admit I love the look of it! I wasn't aware they were going to do it in colored background & texture - it is soo pleasing to the eye. :D I'm very proud of the team.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:01 am

I'm trying to get Print on Demand done as quickly as possible but it keeps rejecting every file we send it. As this is mine and Ian's first time collaborating (Ian R. Liddle is our new Fading Suns layout guy) and setting up print on demand it is a learning curve. Future books should have a much closer time between PDF, POD, and Print releases.

We are also working on getting the book in print and I have meetings scheduled with a printer. Again, with James leaving this is a new process for me and Fading Suns got the honor and glory of being the first project to get done after James left. He was the one who did all the logistics previously so again, learning curve.

The process goes: Get files from layout, send files to print service, get cryptic rejection codes, fix cryptic things, rinse and repeat. My main goal was to at least get the PDF done and released so it could get into the hands of gamers now and not have to wait anymore.

Just wanted to throw that in for some full-disclosure as why I have not yet announced solid dates for the print releases.

Edit: In my dream world the very first submission for Print On Demand went through and it was already available. Glad I didn't jump the gun on that announcement lol.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:09 am

Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Hail Freedonia!

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Here's a noob question: Why is there both a POD and a ordinary printing scheme for these products? Yes, I am clueless when it comes to POD, but I though that was simply a smaller scale printing (on demand) thing instead of a proper print order at the printers? Why do both? What is it that I do not understand here? :) Best of luck with the coding and such though!

A GM Comp might very well be worth considering :)
(numerous projects)

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:18 pm

With Print On Demand we can offer a color version of the book that we could not afford to do with printing. We do want to go with a traditional printer as well so that we can go through the traditional channels such as Studio 2 who can get the printed book out to a lot more ways than we could with just POD. Gets the book to places like Amazon, game stores, and other places.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Hail Freedonia!

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Right! That makes sense :) Thanks.
(numerous projects)

First Age

Postby First Age » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:45 am

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:12 pm

We are researching our options for bundling PDF and print bundles across all of our lines but it would probably be through our own site store as it is easier to make sure everyone who buys gets the PDF.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Hail Freedonia!

Return to “Product Discussion”