[Moved] Noble Armada

Discussion on the Noble Armada game line, errata, and feedback not related to miniatures.
Nerroth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Noble Armada

Postby Nerroth » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Given the amount of changes there have been to the various fora between the end of RedBrick and the onset of the current set up, I must apologise if I'm bringing up the same old topic yet again; but, since there seems to be trace of the older discussion at this point, I wanted to create a new thread if I may.

A while back, there was talk of FASA Games doing a revised edition of the original Noble Armada ruleset, which would use the same miniatures being produced by Mongoose Publishing for A Call to Arms: Noble Armada. (This setup echoes how Mongoose's Starline 2500 miniature range works for A Call to Arms: Star Fleet, as well as for other tactical starship combat games set in the Star Fleet Universe, like Federation Commander and Star Fleet Battles itself.)

If I recall correctly (and, again, apologies if this is not the case), this would have made the FASA 2.0 versinon of the game "Noble Armada Third Edition", or "NA3" for short. (I believe that Holistic went through two editions of the original game system before putting it out to pasture and letting Mongoose have a crack at converting the setup to the A Call to Arms game engine.)

Is any of the above still the case (if it ever was); and, if so, is there any progress that can be reported on how, or even if, NA3 will go forward?

And to clarify, would NA3 (should it be made to exist) act as this universe's equivalent of SFB or FC (or B5 Wars, to refer to another game which has had a relationship with Mongoose's ACtA engine), when it comes to the degree of granularity one might expect to find in this game level?

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Noble Armada

Postby Angelman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Hm… it seems both your July questions went unanswered, Nerroth.

Now, I don’t know much but I do not believe there was ever any work started on NA3. Naturally, a synchronization of NA and FS remains a goal (the two games should fit) but I do not think it is being worked on as we speak - at least I haven't heard anything. What do you think would be a cool way to handle this?
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Nerroth

Postby Nerroth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Well, a few things I would like to see would be:

*A degree of commonality between the weapon suites and support systems listed in ACtA:NA for a given unit, and its counterpart in NA3 (and FSR).I'm not sure how many of Mongoose's ships are based on "old" NA units, and how many have been created from whole cloth, but a common vision for the naval aspect of the universe would be quite welcome.

*A clarification as to what, if any, types of orbital installations exist in the setting. When a ship (be it civilian or military) arrives in a neutral or friendly system, how likely is it that there would be a deep-range space station for them to dock with; or are they obliged to land on a planet (using a ship capable of atmospheric landings and takeoffs) in order to rest, replenish, or whatnot?

*Notes on the kind of logistical networks in place for starship construction and maintenance. For example, Star Crusade reported that the Vijayanagar on Hargard supply many of the black-water units required by the Vuldrok thanes on the world. Does this mean that the ships are constructed on the surface (akin to what you see in the 2009 Star Trek movie) or are there zero-g shipyards in orbit which the Vijayanagar own and operate? And either way, do they only build "Vuldrok" hull types for export (and have some "domestic" ships they use for their own space forces), or do they use them for their own space fleet?

*An order of battle for each notable space-faring faction, akin to the data published for other game universes in sources like the SFU's Federation and Empire books, or BattleTech's field manuals. How many ships of a given class does House Hawkwood have in service, where can they build more, and what support nodes are in place across their fiefdoms to support their array of warships? And how does it compare to what their space-faring rivals have on offer?

Some of the above may need to be discussed with your counterparts at Mongoose, in order to make sure that the "in-universe" workings of the universe are broad enough to allow ACtA:NA to work as advertised, but for NA3 and FSR to have a scale of naval operation that works with their respective presentations of the shared setting.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Hm... interesting. Most of these points look to me to be fluff and background only usable for a RPG game. Is this your primary concern, that FSR should have more information on space crafts and such? If so, what about simply doing a space travel sourcebook thingy? (Would you need to know how many dreadnaugts House Li Halan possesses for a mini game?). There is something to be said for not defining things too closely as different gamers and games have different requirements, so I am not sure we would want to minutelly define things like faction resources and such... (Would you need to know how many dreadnaughts Hosue Li Halan possesses for an RPG game?). Perhaps some things are best left undecided?

As for things done under the Mongoose lisense, I have no idea how that would play into things. It sounds very complicated to me and it might perhaps be somethign that HDi would better tackle.

To have some sort of coherency between the mini-game and the RPG, with weapons and stats, should be doable at the very least, I would think. But, speaking as a freelancer who doesn't know much, I fear this lies a bit into the future.
(numerous projects)

Nerroth

Postby Nerroth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Well, in the case of House Li Halan, they apparently don't have any DNs to speak of. (Mongoose gave them in , but so far only three of the five Royal Houses have actual dreadnoughts. And I don't know if the Naga was a "new" design by Mongoose, or an "old" Holistic design they brought back to life.)

If Holistic are the ones who would ultimately help balance FASA and Mongoose's respective priorities, fair enough.

But one advantage of listing orders of battle would be to allow either company, should they so wished, to one day publish a strategic-level wargame that allowed a player to play as one of the Royal Houses, or the Caliphate, or another such faction - in which case, it would be important to note what naval assets and fixed installations are available in order to prosecute such a campaign (or to defend against one).

But then, you make a fair point. Other versions of A Call to Arms are not exclusively tied to the strategic-level games which share their settings, so it's not like any "fleet doctrine" rules need to be anything other than optional for those players minded to run "historical" campaigns.
Last edited by Nerroth on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:12 pm

All of this is rather hard to speculate about, not the least because I don't know the mini-games and HDi has vested interested in such things. I think we'll just have to wait and see what happens there. But playing up space stuff in FS can only be good, and to have some sort of coherency in the franchise would be preferred.
(numerous projects)

Nerroth

Postby Nerroth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:07 pm

Understood.

At this point, I was most keen on clarifying whether or not NA3 was still a possibility for future development. If it gets its turn some day, I'm sure there'll be plenty of discussions then as to what it should look like, and what comparisons one might, or ought to, make with its sister game from Mongoose.

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:15 pm

On my wish list is the chance to really dig into Noble Armada but my priority right now is getting the line moving and getting product finished for Fading Suns. If we can get into a good product release cycle and get the new teams running nicely that would definitely open up some free time for this.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Nerroth

Postby Nerroth » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks for dropping in to say as much.

If I may ask, would you (as Fading Suns Line Developer) also act as Noble Armada Line Developer by default (were it to come to that); or is it possible that NA3 might be split off into its own category as and when the time comes?

Or to put it another way, are you responsible for all FS/NA-related material which is under FASA 2.0's remit, or more specifically for the RPG side of the equation?

Apologies if that is the sort of question which cannot be answered at this point, or at least not publicly.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:51 am

This is the sort of question that cannot be answered at this point :P Specifically, it can't be answered because it is not on the radar as we speak (as far as I know that is), and therefore a team has not been put together. That said, NA really IS a different game altogether, and I would expect it needs a dedicated team of its own to do it justice instead of being a branch-off of the RPG team, but we will see what happens when FSR is up at running speed.
(numerous projects)

Return to “Product Discussion”