Lost Worlds sourcebook question

Discussion on the Fading Suns game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nerroth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Lost Worlds sourcebook question

Postby Nerroth » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:48 pm

Hello.

I think the last time I asked this question, it was before the changes made to the direction of the Fading Suns RPG setup just prior to the shift from RedBrick to FASA Games, so I'm not sure if any of the old plans were still in play or not.

What I was wondering about in this case refers to the current treatment being planned for the various Lost World factions; from the Kurga Caliphate and the Vuldrok Star-Nation to the various independent factions to be found across the "Barbarian" jumpweb (and those sub-planetary factions which still existed as of Star Crusade and Lost Worlds, such as the rulers of Vijayanagar on Rauhina/Hargard).

I recall that, at one point, there was a plan to do a sourcebook for the Caliphate, a separate one for the Star-Nation, and at least one other covering a range of independent Lost World factions.

Is this still the case; or is there some other means by which the current edition of Fading Suns may one day explore the Barbarian Jumpweb?

Angelman

Re: Lost Worlds sourcebook question

Postby Angelman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Nerroth, sorry for the late answer (I don’t know why you never got a reply… it was probably a summer vacation thing).

As far as I can remember, there were never any definite plans regarding barbarian space. There were a lot of ideas and thoughts, but no writing/pre-production had been started as far as I know. We were probably in the habit of talking too much about lose thoughts on possible plans for things laying way into the future back then, and we will now probably not speculate too much about future things until we get to the point of starting to develop the facet/faction/area in question. (Did that even make sense, I wonder?)

My guess when it comes to FSR is that we would very much like to develop barbarian space, although it is probably not at the top of the list of things to do. Personally I would like to focus at least as much on expanding new areas in the game as remaking established ones, but it all depends on what the LineDev. and HDi set their eyes on.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Nerroth

Postby Nerroth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:06 pm

I see, thanks.

Could it be possible to theme future sourcebooks for the various regions of the Barbarian jumpweb to those which may be in the works for relevant factions within the Phoenix Empire?

For example, if a future book were to look at House Hazat, a companion volume could then be done covering the Kurga Caliphate, in order to highlight the importance to each faction of their long-standing (yet intermittent) struggle for local supremacy. Or, in the case of the Vuldrok Star-Nation, one could tie a volume introducing them to House Hawkwood, given the Jumpweb link between Hargard and Leminkainen. (Actually, since the bulk of independent Lost Worlds lying between Kurga and Vuldrok space can be linked back to Hawkwood fiefs along the Ravenna-Twilight corridor, one could use a similar avenue to introduce those systems one can reach from that frontier of Imperial space.)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:22 pm

I think that is a good idea and it is quite possible, I would say. However, this would sort of change the balanse of Hawkwood and Hazat books compared to other noble realms who do not have the same border war stuff going on. It is definitelly something we would have to look into though, for the barbarians just beyond the border should have their say in their neighbors sourcebooks ;) What about a campaign coverign relations between Hazat & Caliphate or Hawkwood & Vuldrok? Would that be interesting/useful?
(numerous projects)

Nerroth

Postby Nerroth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Ultimately, I would argue that the Barbarian jumpweb is more than worth exploring in its own right, akin to how it was treated in Star Crusade and Lost Worlds.

But the above idea was more to try and help if the barbarian realms would otherwise have to wait until after the Phoenix Empire was fleshed out in detail - which might mean it could be a long time indeed before they are gotten around to. Hence the suggestion of pairing "rival" factions, such as Kurga/Hazat, or Hawkwood/Vuldrok.

I suppose the concept could be expanded to cover other non-Imperial factions, too. Alexius' forces garrison the frontier to Symbiot-held space, so perhaps those factions could be grouped together. Similarly, any of the factions which control systems bordering the Vau Hegemony could be treated as the gateway to the Vau, as well as the "border" species lying under that elder species' protection.

That would allow for a greater array of Phoenix Empire factions to have their "external" relations put on display when the time comes for them to be fleshed out in FSR.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Making the various houses emphesise their barbarian/outsider enemies when we get around to do the sourcebooks should be possible. There are more than enough trouble to go around, heh heh. We'll see how this turns out down the road.

As for the Vau, those would probably be paired off against the Li Halan (they already hate the Vau); the Imps fight the Symbiots of course; House Decados, well there's a wild card with a lot of enemies - perhaps Iver or other lost worlds (there is supposed to have been loads of Decados worlds back in the day before many of them closed their gates to escape their Decados masters); House al-Malik might be knee-deep in alien problem (rebelious Shantor and ambitious Ukari) and the war with lesser houses. The Church would perhaps be paired off agains theretics. Well, I'm just ranting at this point ;)
(numerous projects)

Nerroth

Postby Nerroth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:00 pm

One could group them into "enemies without", "enemies below", and "enemies within".

"Without" would cover the external factors - Hazat/Kurga, Imperial/Symbiot, Li Halan/Vau, Hawkwood/Vuldrok, and so forth. (Maybe the Merchant League could be tied to the "northern" indepedent Lost Worlds, such as Antioch or Collier's Landing? There are a lot of "unsanctioned" jumpkeys being used in Barbarian space. I'd readily imagine the Charioteers being particularly motivated to go and get them - and the locals having other ideas about that prospect.)

"Below" could be the troubles facing Decados and al-Malik; the former with "rogue" worlds, and the latter with the Lesser Houses or various alien rebellions, as you say.

"Within" could be the Church - be it rival factions fighting each other, dealing with underground factions (such as the Sathraists), and perhaps competing for souls in the Lost Worlds with rival proselytisers from the Ordu'l-Diin, the neo-Hinduism of Vijayanagar, or the "pagan" faiths of the myriad Vuldrok nations.

And then, if the mysteries of the Annunaki were to get a look-in, that could be something for everyone... to fight to the death over.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:21 am

Yes, there are many interesting possibilities here. This organization of threats could work well. There are so many things going on in FS and it is certainly a challenge to juggle all the pieces correctly. Another thing we will have to consider is how much adjustment do we make with the established source material at the expense of developing new stuff - in that respect, simply reprinting the Lost Worlds books (more or less) as they are would possibly free up time and energy to do other things. What do you think about that? As publishers we have to consider both the old fan base and trying to bring in new interest, so it could be that we should concentrate on getting some of the old books out as they are for the benefit of new players in the first few years. Perhaps it is worth considering a scenario where we reprint 3 books and write 1 new one per year? Thoughts?
(numerous projects)

Nerroth

Postby Nerroth » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:44 pm

How much work do the older modules need in order to be compatible with FSR?

For example, both Star Crusade and Lost Worlds are among the list of PDFs available under . (That's where I was able to get those files, after having been exposed to the setting via A Call to Arms: Noble Armada.)

How much of an adjustment, if any, would need to be made in order to get those files up to speed - and do the background details therein still count as "canon" from a FASA 2.0 perspective? (One thing I note is that the design for the Mujahidin-class Raider in Star Crusade looks different to . But perhaps both versions exist in-universe; maybe with one chassis is built at Irem, and another at, say, Khayyam?)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:46 am

Getting FS1/FS2 material up to FSR speed is easy enough. A slightly greater challenge is colating additional development made in scattered sources into the older basic source material, and I'm personally a stickler for detail and would want to review everything and incorporate most of what has been written/developed on a sjubject before reprinting the book in question. This is not too difficult a task, although it takes time. And finally, developing sources for reprint does include streamlining the text in places and also possibly adding some ideas of our own. In short, it depends on the situation and no book is alike :)

I would say that having different versions of a particular starship line is not a problem. After all, the majority of starships in FS/NA was constructed over a thousand years ago, and has seen many generations of reuse and recycling, so that every world and even individual authorities within the same world/factin could easily field starkly different versions of the same model.
(numerous projects)

Return to “Product Discussion”