EDR Planned Products?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
zayven
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EDR Planned Products?

Postby zayven » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Jaracove brings up a good point. I don't know that any edition of ED ever did a good job of distinguishing between low and high circle adventures. I always assumed that once you got to really high circle, you weren't really "kaer diving" anymore, but taking part in the big picture politics of Barsaive. The very nature of being a recognizable, legendary character makes it almost impossible to be a "simple adventurer." Such characters will have accumulated so much wealth and influence by then that they're going to get drawn into the greater political conflicts whether they want to or not.

It doesn't help that the really powerful beings in Barsaive aren't there for you to just go and kill. In D&D, you can throw dragons and the like at high level characters because they're just there to be killed. In ED, killing a dragon would have PROFOUND consequences for a character. I suppose that Horrors play the part of "big baddies" in a high level game, but hunting down a powerful Named Horror is a totally different kind of adventure than the classic "storming the dragon's lair" adventure.

It's an interesting question. I've never sustained a campaign long enough for it to become an issue, but I can see how it might pose problems for a GM.

TarlimanJoppos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:52 pm

I've been dealing with this in my campaign for a while now. The adepts have become integrated in the government of a city-state that they accidentally helped found. They've been on diplomatic missions. They can't travel without it being a big deal. I took the group to Cathay for a while so that they could get back to being adepts, in a land where they have no reputation, and get away from the politics. Sadly, they've been dragged back home by unfinished business, and are now organizing a Very Big Event. Part of the transition is the level of involvement. At the Battle of Sky Point, the adepts were key players, but were just part of a much larger plan. Now, they're the ones creating the plan, doing the organizing, taking the lead. The transition has been gradual, but it's resulted in them going from being special forces in a battle to planning the battle from the strategic level.

You can follow my campaign at http://www.fortetsa-hebo.com if you like. You'll want the Bearers of the Helm campaign, in the left navigation column.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:18 pm

zayven

Postby zayven » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Yep. Sounds like a classic "epic level campaign" problem!

Rogan Rubyeye

Postby Rogan Rubyeye » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Whew! that took a bit of reading now.

OK, high Circle adventures - Passions tea party? :D

Good to hear about the current activity of FASA though and their reassurance in keeping the Earthdawn line available, if temporarily inactive. (Gives me time to restart my 1507TH era campaign ;) ) Quite an interesting discussion too.

A shame that there won't be anything "new" for a while as I (like many other long time fans) was looking forwards to the RedBrick planned releases for Jerris, Iopos, and Shards 3. My only consolation here would be that i luckily managed to track down and acquire Mongoose;s hardcopy 3rd ed sourcebooks for Cara Fahd and Crystal Raiders, when they'd sold out of them several years ago. ;) Yay :cheerleader:

Good luck on the company stuff FASA guys. BTW, do you have a set of writer guidelines/spec sheets for freelance submissions like you did as the Brick? Finding that I've a bit of free time on my hands and would be interested in getting my writing itch involved after a few years hiatus.
"I spy, with my Targeting Eye..."

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Alright, I've ordered my copy of EDR Player's Guide on faith that I will see a GM guide soon . . . I may pick it up as PDF, but I prefer dead trees. Are there plans to see FASA's new offerings in my FLGS? I've finally got one, I'd like to support it.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Our print books should be available through Studio 2, which (as far as I'm aware) would be available to your FLGS.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Okay, that wasn't immediately obvious. I will alert the Owner and order the GM guide through him as soon as it is available!

Rajaat99

Postby Rajaat99 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:29 pm

It's been almost a year since I asked about products for EDR and I'm surprised we still have no word on the EDR GM Guide. I'm especially surprised because you admitted that it would be very similar to the ED3 GM Guide. I also said that I would be patient, which I believe I have been.
Are we going to see the EDR GM Guide, or is EDR dead already?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

An announcement that will answer your question is planned for this coming Friday, Decemer 13th.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Return to “Product Discussion”