Speak Language

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Harlequin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Speak Language

Postby Harlequin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if the Speak Language talent can be used to understand and converse quick sentences in a language that is not known by the character without having the actually learn the language?

Let's say my character have speak language at rank 2 and already knows Throalic and Sperethiel, he wouldn't be able to learn another language, but can the talent be used if someone speaks to him in Orzeth in order to just understand this sentence and adding strain each time a roll is necessary?

Many thanks!

Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: Speak Language

Postby Mataxes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:56 pm

By the rules, that isn't possible, but if you want to house-rule it to work that way, I don't think it would be a problem (I think the strain cost for this use is a good idea).
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

slayride
Site Admin

Postby slayride » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah the rules say it isn't possible. Generally my Players always use the +1 Rank rule. Which is always have a free rank in such talents. If the need arises to learn to speak or r/w a new language quickly, the free rank is immediately available for use.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Talent knack?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:04 pm

That's certainly another way to approach it. Knacks are generally intended for things that are useful, but not strictly covered under the rules for the talent. If developing this as a knack, I wouldn't put it that high... maybe requiring a rank 3 or 5 in the base talent?
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:36 pm

I would say to put it lower (at 3) only for the more socially oriented Disciplines, such as the Troubadour, who need to be able to converse with people to use their Talents. For the others, it might be handy, but not a focus of the Discipline, and thus not as essential.

I would set it at something like 2 strain (at least) to be able to match someone's language for a number of minutes equal to your Speak Languages rank. It should be useful, but not so much so that it negates actually learning the language with the Talent as usual.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:04 am

In a related study, the word, "Huh?" seems near universal...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/0 ... 43054.html

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:32 am

Isn't there Multi-language or so talent that allows it?

EDIT** I found Multi-Tongue talent and it does pretty much what you want.

Earlier I used rule from Panda's blog, but after discovery of this talent I stopped because of rule that no talent knack, talent etc. should not copy other abilities.
Duvvelsheyss

Return to “For Game Masters”