Latin help wanted

Discussion on playing Fading Suns. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Danos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Latin help wanted

Postby Danos » Thu May 03, 2012 10:09 am

Yeah, that's cool. We had access to an Archaeology Grad Student at one time, we translated Murphy's Laws of Combat into latin as Brother Battle Psalms. It was pretty fun. It is nice to use a bit of latin in character, adds a bunch. The only latin I know is a few legal terms, I never took latin in school. If I had known as an undergrad that I would be going to law school, I would have chosen latin. Oh well.

werefrog
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby werefrog » Sat May 05, 2012 9:02 pm

The Werefrog took a semester of Latin in college where they offered 1 year of Latin total, and at the end of that year, one would be fluent. It was rather rigorous.

Now, The Werefrog attend Mass in Latin, which apparently is the sort of Latin you really wanted.

The Latin used by the Catholic Church is true Latin, and the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church used Latin predominately because it was the language of the people. They simply didn't stop using Latin when all the language from their congregation changed in order that one could go to different lands and still understand.
Barsaive Emergent: , 1st Circle Elven Adept[quote author=griton]Werefrog FTW![/quote][quote author=ED_Chronicler]to quote Griton: Werefrog FTW![/quote][quote author=avantio][move]Werefrog FTW![/move][/quote]

Calvin

Postby Calvin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:05 am

I don't know if FS Latin is pure Latin. It's a mixup of a bunch of ancient languages from the texts that the Prophet used to synthesise his new religion. It's sanskrit, hebrew... A good example would be High Gothic from 40k. It's represented with latin in texts, because it fills that cultural role.

Return to “For Players”