Latin help wanted

Discussion on playing Fading Suns. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Latin help wanted

Postby Angelman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 am

So, is there anyone out there with good(-ish) Latin skills? Mine are... inadequate ;) Contact me (or answer here) if you want to help out.

Thanks.
Vidar
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

werefrog
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Latin help wanted

Postby werefrog » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:37 pm

What you need? The Werefrog may do well enough in Latin to help.
Barsaive Emergent: , 1st Circle Elven Adept[quote author=griton]Werefrog FTW![/quote][quote author=ED_Chronicler]to quote Griton: Werefrog FTW![/quote][quote author=avantio][move]Werefrog FTW![/move][/quote]

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:14 pm

I've sent a PM your way :)
(numerous projects)

Calvin

Postby Calvin » Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 am

Is Churchspeak pure Latin? I always figured it picked from a bunch of languages. Sanskrit, Hebrew etc. It's a bit closer to modern Latin than WH40k High Gothi, but not by far.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 pm

It is basically Latin, but a version of it. I envision someone in the early Universal Church did a reconstruction of the language to fit the Omega Gospels. However, a 1500 years of use on many planets have changed it even further, so there are probably many variations out there.
(numerous projects)

Bubasti

Postby Bubasti » Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 pm

I took two semesters of Latin back in college. Things that a History major do for you. :)

If you need more help, let me know.

I would figure that the Latin used by the Church is closer to the Medieval Latin of Hildegarde of Bingen, (maybe slightly dirtier) than the classic, or reformed, Latin.

Danos

Postby Danos » Tue May 01, 2012 10:52 pm

I would imagine that what the church calls Latin is actually mostly Latin with a heavy leavening of ancient Greek and Aramaic. I lean towards Calvin's view on this. For purposes of writing it up, I would feel free to substitute an ancient Greek or an Aramaic or even a Sanskrit word if I couldn't find the right Latin word.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed May 02, 2012 4:20 am

Mudding up the Latin and introducing latinized loan words is all good.
I got my help from werefrog however, so I'm all set for now.
Only took one semester of Latin myself, which thought me just enough to realize I don't have a clue ;)
(numerous projects)

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Wed May 02, 2012 5:38 pm

In my old group the GM new Latin (Roman Archeologist) and the person who played the priest knew latin. (Medical field / history person) The priest would spout off latin and such... it added a bit of flair I do say.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed May 02, 2012 6:05 pm

*envious*
(numerous projects)

Return to “For Players”