Wizards Cloak?Invisibility,silence&deoderant rolled into one

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
meerkat
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wizards Cloak?Invisibility,silence&deoderant rolled into one

Postby meerkat » Tue May 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi I had dismissed the Wizards Cloak spell as being useless (only protects you from detection spells and abilities for a few minutes). However I then reread it and now am not so sure. How do people play its effects? Does it just protect you from magical detection or does it also mask your physical presence making you invisible, silent, odour free etc?

(BTW I'll preface my useless comment with a campaign note that casters in our campaign must pay LP & SP to buy a spell and spend days searching for someone willing to teach them so you only get spells you really really want them and not just for versatility, I'm not paying 500LP for a spell that I might use one day to make magical detection harder, though if its invisibility, silence and odour eaters in one etc its incredible powerful)

"This spell creates a magical cloak that masks the target’s presence. The magician pantomimes placing a cloak over his shoulders and drawing the hood over his head, then touches the target and makes a Spellcasting Test against the target’s Spell Defense. If successful, a faintly shimmering cloak of mystical energy momentarily appears, then vanishes into the target’s body. The magician’s Effect Test determines the target’s SpellDefense against any spells or abilities intended to detect his presence or gain information about him."

Flagg

Re: Wizards Cloak?Invisibility,silence&deoderant rolled into

Postby Flagg » Tue May 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Looking for more Earthdawn stuff? Visit the !

meerkat

Postby meerkat » Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 am

Hey thanks for that, as I originally thought protects against detecting but not seeing, hearing, smelling etc. :lol:

I will have to revise the useless bit though if you can cast it on objects to make them not detectable still has some use but within our campaign not worth the LP & SP to me (I'd take karma connection as the free 4th circle spell every time over this) :thumbup:

arma

Postby arma » Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 pm

IF you play with LP to buy spells, there'll eventually be a point where they' cost won't be noteworthy any more and it'll be wise to have the spell handy just in case. A lot of the lower-circle spells stay useful all throughout the game.
At about 4th Circle, maybe not yet. But you'll be getting into magic items sooner or later, and being able to sneak them past magical defenses or astral guardians...
Best kaer anywhere.

meerkat

Postby meerkat » Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 am

True but remember on the old forum I conducted a little survey? 75% of people on the forums had never got a character to Circle 5 I think I recall so figure it may be quite sometime before 500LP, 400SP and a week to find someone to teach me the spell is going to be a throw away investment. Our group is still in the situation of having to leave town because we ran out of money and cant afford a bed to sleep in...

I figure bringing back dead party memebers (well at least the ones smart enough to not spend their last 5 karma) is going to be more useful in the immediately forseeable future :D

arma

Postby arma » Fri May 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Remember you can always steal money, grimoires, etc... ;D
Best kaer anywhere.

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Sat May 05, 2012 10:05 pm

That only covers the cash cost.

if you steel or loot a grimoire with a spell you can grim grimoire war cast it but until you learn it yourself you couldn’t matrix cast (or raw cast if you would ever want to)

arma

Postby arma » Sun May 06, 2012 7:07 am

Hmmmm...
...then the theft needs to be a heroic act that also awards the LP to learn it! ;D
Like stealing a grimoire from a dragon's hoard. You may also be able to grab a few other things on the way out.
See, the dilemma quickly turns into a beneficial situation! ;)
Best kaer anywhere.

Return to “For Players”