Monks and Steel Thought, an oversight?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Crusader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Monks and Steel Thought, an oversight?

Postby Crusader » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:41 pm

I just made a monk character. I noticed perception is a low priority attribute and thus ended up with a base spell defense of 7, not impressive. Then I looked around for talents helping with that, and found none. This struck me as odd, as I would expect a talent like Steel Thought to be available to monks. Thematically it would fit 120% in my opinion. More so then, for example, Battle Shout, as I don't think that fits with the composure monks usually seem to have. Is this an oversight, or is there an explanation behind the choice?

arma

Re: Monks and Steel Thought, an oversight?

Postby arma » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:59 am

There's simply a focus on the physical and offense, so most talents are for offense, and most defensive talents are physical.
It's not your usual the-other-RPG monk that stresses resistances.
Best kaer anywhere.

Crusader

Postby Crusader » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:20 pm

A focus on offense? I am more seeing agility and average fighter, especially compared to the Purifier and Pugilist, the other unarmed Disciplines. The offense part of the monk is underwhelming compared to those. Which is good, as the fluff clearly states this is not primarily a combat Discipline (even though the entire discipline seems to be geared towards combat).

For all the fluff about improving both body and mind, the mind itself seems underrepresented in the Discipline itself. In fact, it is almost completely absent. There's Meditate, Lion Heart and Resist Pain. The rest is all about smacking enemies around. Isn't the goal of every monk to, quote, "exert discipline over our bodies as merely a single step to gain mastery over our minds"? But even the Master level talents have nothing to do with this supposed mastery of the mind. (Not that gaining dragon powers is in any way uncool, but it's not what the fluff suggests).

arma

Postby arma » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 pm

The main part of the fluff says "they spent too much time meditating and became lazy, so the dragon told them to get into shape". Even Meditate mostly has physical aspects, control of the body, even though it is a mental exercise.
Best kaer anywhere.

Crusader

Postby Crusader » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Dastardly dragons, saw the monks were on to something and instead made them into their little private army... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Crusader on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arma

Postby arma » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Shush, they're listening...
Best kaer anywhere.

Return to “For Game Masters”