FS 2nd and experiences points

Discussion on playing Fading Suns. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Danos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: FS 2nd and experiences points

Postby Danos » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Starting wyrd is equal to one of your social attributes, depending on whether one is a Theurge (Starting Wyrd = Faith), a Psychic (Starting Wyrd = Extrovert or Introvert, whichever is primary) or a non-occultist (Starting Wyrd = Passion or Calm, whichever is primary). One play begins, wyrd is fixed. If a psychic raises their extrovert from 8 to 9, their wyrd doesn't go up too. That attribute simply dictated where wyrd started, they have to raise wyrd with xp if they want more wyrd later.

Danos

Postby Danos » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Depends on the path. The Dervishes can theoretically buy prana at every level, and vis craft has some powers that can be bought at higher levels to get better effects. Most psi paths have only 1 choice at each level, though.

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 am

Psi powers have to go up the path they have. For example is you start on the Vis Craft you have to buy each level in succession.

There are some powers (Omen) that start at like 3? (Don't have the book in front of me.) This means your Psi trait needs to be at that level before even embarking on the path.

Calvin

Postby Calvin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:53 pm

I didn't like how occult powers used the inflexible power escalation staircase design from WoD Disciplines and such. Getting a wider amount of abilities would be nice.

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:43 am

IMHO. In FS2 however the Psi powers are broken. The staircase is one of the few limiting factors in an overpowering system.

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 am

In my game there was a knight in Ceram steel with Soma at fairly high levels. When they got into a fight it was almost like a one man show. Sure we helped out, but the majority of the fight was theirs.

Theurgy on the other hand did not seem to get as outlandish.

azogouhl

Postby azogouhl » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:19 pm

If only that one character is wearing superheavy armor, use weapons that ignore or negate armor like wireblades, harmonic weapons, and xasers or grasers. If people are aware the party is after them, or someone is hunting the party, and I assume most parties with a rampaging Brother Battle have people after them, they will at least try and eliminate the threat or find places to fight where that threat is severely reduced.

Gannok

Postby Gannok » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:45 am

I think it was partially by design.

If you look at Theurgy, it may not be as powerful (except the Brother Battle, but Mantius wouldn't have it any other way), but it has the added advantage of being always socially acceptable. If you use it in front of peasants they'd thank the Pancreator for you being there.

Psi powers on the other hand, they'd try to burn you as a witch. Plus the skills and what not for Psi tended to be all over the place. To be any good in any one path of 10 powers, you'd have to be good at like 15 different skills (I know there's generally only 1 skill to a power, but Psi was just that fucked up). So the inherit flaw of "95% of the population will try to kill you on sight for having these powers" was made a little easier to swallow by being more powerful. So I don't feel so bad about that disparity. Plus we all know that the Brother Battle break the rules here because all of their Theurgy uses things like Shoot and Fight.

Mind you Rico, when Hal would use his Far Hand to fire like a half dozen rifles at once and fly and all that other BS he use to do, I thought it was a bit overpowered too. However, Chris does make you pay for that kind of power. So in many ways, because it was a Chris game, he earned it. The closest I ever got to those powers was Ionnis and his Engineer Theurgy. Other than getting me to try and buy a pound of Pygmallium, I didn't use it all that much.

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:42 am

Oh yeah.. I forgot about Hal and his "gun Platform" psi abilities.

Calvin

Postby Calvin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:34 am

Safe if the peasants could tell it apart from psionics or high science. Which in most cases they can't. :p

Having one PC turn out as a combat monster can happen in any game. It's not a contest, let him shine against thugs now and then. How interested are the other players in combat scenes? Is he stealing their spotlight, or do they have other ways to show off? As for resistance, this guy will be noticed. Any opponent will have plenty of time to set up ambushes and distractions while this hunk of metal is stomping around.

Skills being all over the place is one of the reasons I look forward to the new occult powers rules system. For the old system, maybe let the player use a single natural skill to control a whole or most of a path?

Return to “For Players”