windlings. why them ?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Flowswithdrek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: windlings. why them ?

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:08 am

So let us imagine we have a windling crime wave. What could we do to stop it?

First it likely depends if you are rich or poor. The poor have a big problem in this hypothetical crime wave; they can’t afford the basic anti–windling counter measures!

Would the poor set traps? Unlikely, their children are likely to run afoul of them when they go looking for their Name Day presents. They could put some kind of anti–windling mesh over the windows; it’s not a lock so it can’t be picked. Instead it has a barrier rating that must be overcome (likely takes time and involves noise). The best option is just to hide your valuables so even if the pesky light fingered windling does intrude on your property he has to find where you have hidden the goodies. Being poor does have one advantage, you have nothing worth stealing.

Now what if your filthy rich? First off that makes you a target so you got to get the latest anti–windling gadgets, all your friends at the local rotary club have them so they are a must have. Wards are good on your treasure room or vault, or even a watcher spirit that alerts the authorities to the machinations of the intrepid winged criminal. Windlings are small and not always that strong. Don’t have your wealth lying around in small convenient stones; keep them hidden on your person. Most windlings couldn’t fly or carry a large ingot of gold, ivory statue, or wall sized painting. Rich people have guards, private security, good locks and lighting. Perhaps even some kind of guard creature!

Of course there always random encounters with the city watch (though they are likely useless, speaking from my own real life experience). If you own a mansion in a rural setting encourage birds of prey to take up residency in the grounds.

galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby galafrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:12 am

thanks to both (arma and flows) for the posts. they offer good insight :)

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:51 am

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:17 pm

well, the "flying" problem i have aroused isnt something that ALL have to share :)
i know i hate the flying idea in a rpg, so i probably have something in my karma against it, or just my mind, even after 30 years of GMing, cant still accept the idea and adapt to it with nice countermeasures and such.
and yeah, the "windling crime wave" surely will not hit the poor, the villages in the hinterlands, but just throal, urupa, travar, and maybe jerris.
but the question was more about that, on how the rich defend their houses/properties from a "windling" or another thief at all.

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:31 pm

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:12 am

Everybody keeps using the example of thrall, in thrall nobody worries because the crime rate is exceptionally low and the crown replaces anything they cannot recover, so the trade secrets are in a safe and the cash is in a desk draw with a simple lock. Everywhere else it is more of an issue. Especially as you don’t have to be a Thief adept to be a thief, non-adept windlings could easily have a relaxed attitude towards property ownership.

Personally I don’t see why we need a big thing on defending against flying intruders (be they Thieves, thieves, spies or wizards on panty raids.

Because skills, talents, windling wings and spells allow ready access to upper story windows, they will be secured in exactly the same way as lower story windows, glass pains, locks, shutters, metal bars, wards and guards (animal, spirit or name giver), all in accordance with the resources of the person doing the securing and the importance of whatever is being secured.

Return to “For Game Masters”