windlings. why them ?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Kremlin KOA
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: windlings. why them ?

Postby Kremlin KOA » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:47 am

Flagg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Flagg » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Looking for more Earthdawn stuff? Visit the !

kevsurp

Postby kevsurp » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:44 pm

one word krillworms

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:47 pm

totally agree with you flagg, but that's more a matter of taste than anything else.
i was discussing of this topic with my group of players, and i was telling them about my concern to put ranged in every and each encounter, because i felt that wasnt so credible to have them.
the windling ofc told me that i was right, but the other 3 said that they were actually expecting them, because since there are flying menaces in ED, a good group should take care of that, so bows (if not realy archers, magicians and such) were definitely credible in each encounter.

also, i am beginning to think about another stuff.
since the wildling can fly without reaching nothing (so even a non adept windling can do that), the safety of the houses should be engineered to take this on account.
do all the houses have windows with gratings ? do they actually fear flying thieves ?

Dragonbreath

Postby Dragonbreath » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:08 pm

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm

arma

Postby arma » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:02 am

Best kaer anywhere.

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:36 am

I think windlings are only a problem if the GM lets them be a problem. In Earthdawn, from the point of view of those that live there, things have wings, and even those that don’t can often fly as previously pointed out. This is just the norm even if it’s not in our world.

Yes windlings have advantages but they have disadvantages and both should be played. What might want to eat a troll simply might not be interested in eating a windling and what finds a windling a filling meal is likely not interested in the rest of the group. Just because the windling is small and possibly cute doesn’t mean you can’t throw stuff at him like you would at a troll because the troll has a higher death rating. If your windling is flying ahead scouting, then it’s on its own. I always have a tribe of cannibal windlings handy for any player that thinks his windling can disrupt the game just because it can fly.

I played with a group years ago, and the GM allowed the windling to fly above the range of ground based missile weapons yet still use its own because it was up high and had gravity on its side, it was very disruptive. When the windling moved to my game I just explained that unless the windling was shooting vertically straight down at a non moving target with no wind whatsoever then an out of range shot would not hit. Range is Range, I also argued that even if the conditions were right for that kind of attack the magic was spent at the range’s limit and the windling arrow was nothing more than an annoying prick (unlike perhaps a longbow arrow) or consumed if it was Flame Arrow.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:14 am

arma

Postby arma » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:49 am

You'd probably have high security only on very limited storage space. It's not like today where the valuables are electronics that are easily portable while at the same time not easily storable, and their function dictating that you'll just have the lie about the house.
Most of what's in the average shop or home in ED is not worth stealing, or not easily portable.
Merchants will have a strongbox or small storage space they put their very valuables in.

You can take the picking / spotting DNs right from the main DN table on p. 89 GM Guide.
(The table is a bit under-appreciated with most DNs coming from other sources, but look it up.)
For your regular thief, you'd classify them as Novice level, and put locks that are not just detractions from Hard to Heroic.
High value targets might be defended by Journeyman Level Difficulties.

Better than locks are active defense measures, though. Traps, but especially people or animals. Things that do what the thief doesn't want: noise.
Best kaer anywhere.

Return to “For Game Masters”