(Adanyan's Revenge) Players surrendered, what to do

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Pixel01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

(Adanyan's Revenge) Players surrendered, what to do

Postby Pixel01 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:00 am

I am playing through the 3rd version of Ardanyan's Revenge when my group of new players. They play as Kaer Dwellers and after making it to the surface they decided to surrender to the Elven guards watching the forest and mines.
From what I have read the leader will interrogate them and then execute them if they reveal their heritage.

While they more or less already have spilled the beans I feel bad about killing them. So my idea involves herding them into a wagon and then have the caravan get ambushed by scorchers in the way to town, should the players not try to stage an escape.
However, this feels a little cheap and Ex Machina.

So, any better suggestions? If I just dump them into the jail cells in the Council hall then they won't really get to experience the city ... Of Course I have Leldrin visit their cell, but as they have no thief or anyone else capable of unlocking the door it would again come to a standstill, unless I make one of the captured masters a thief.

earthdawn66
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: (Adanyan's Revenge) Players surrendered, what to do

Postby earthdawn66 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:42 am

couple of quick options... door to wagon could not be completely locked and come undone on travel and they could slip out dureing the night.... Could have another person there also that can unlock doors being taken also and as he escapes givs your players the option also....Ambushes work also but could leave them in worse condition depending on the ambushers... just remember to have fun for you and them both

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:50 am

Titoo can help them out of jail.

Scorchers are good to save them while being transported to town but they will have to escape Scorchers (maybe even use them to help if they tell them about kaer and promise a reward.
Duvvelsheyss

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:38 am

I have only read actual plays of Ardanyan's Revenge, so I don't fully know all the ins and outs. However, perhaps one of the guards can be sympathetic or at least resistant to the idea of killing the players? Maybe someone disillusioned with the current leadership or someone not in on the conspiracy and is a bit of a naive idealist. Lots of potential future use for a character like that (if they survive). May end up in jail or replace a different character.

Have you told the player characters that they are going to die? Are they motivated to escape or do they think they'll be treated fairly?

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:53 pm

TPK! TPK! TPK!

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm just about to reach this point with my PC's. Hopefully we will not have this problem.

I agree with kosmit, use this as a way to introduce and ingratiate Titoo to the party.

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:17 pm

There seem to be many references to the Symbol or Insignia of the Town Ardanyan being all over the place, but is there any reference as to what it looks like?

I finally found that it is a gold symbol on a deep blue field (at least on the Town Watch armor).

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:15 pm

This little baby was on Cover page of Ardanyan Revenge, also inside. Heres color version from cover. There was no mentioning that this is the symbol but its in so many places in the book.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6iX8 ... W11aEVWQnM

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:26 pm

Pixel01

Postby Pixel01 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:09 pm

My players got out through the alternate exit and had spent their first night under the open sky. The following morning was heavy fog, but that didn't stop the Beastmaster and Archer to go hunting for a new animal companion with the warrior coming along for a jog and protection. The illusionist and Air Sailor stayed in the camp.

After 30 minutes searching the hunters came across a pair of saddled horse being tied to a tree. At they went to investigate some of the nearby bushes turned out to be elves with long bows trained at them to whom they promptly surrender, much to my surprise as they had shot the Brithan upon seeing it (three adepts versus three elves with bows). Although they surrendered without much fuss the beastmaster was bellowing questions at them after being tied including saying they are from the city below the mountain. He was rewarded with a few kicks as response.

I allowed the other two to hear some shouting (Air Sailors awareness check was also phenomenal) and the two along with the beastmaster's kue companion went to investigate. They saw their friends being hog-tied with the elves lording over them. The elves simply raised their bows again and demanded surrender and the two applied.
Que fade to black.
I have given thoughts to either chasing the pet away or shooting it. And interrogation has not even be gone yet. But since the group already revealed they are Kaer dwellers it really isn't needed.

So this is my situation. So no I hadn't really shown the players how dire their situation is.

Return to “For Game Masters”