Heat Armor

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ChrisDDickey
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Heat Armor

Postby ChrisDDickey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:53 am

The Undying
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Heat Armor

Postby The Undying » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:48 am

ChrisDDickey

Postby ChrisDDickey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:38 am

I agree with just about everything you say, especially about the difference between the hide of an animal and animal hide armor. And also that you can't apply logic or science to magic. In fact that is one of my pet peeves also. I am willing to stipulate that the spell can figure out that a little bit of cloth is not armor, but that padded cloth is armor. I am also willing to easily surrender on those crystals (such as crystal ringlet armor) that are empowered by spells that last a year and a day.

The one thing I am still hesitating on is blood pebbles and living crystal. For some reason it seems to me that crystals embedded in your skin and empowered by your own blood should be considered more like natural armor, more a part of "you". Since most armors can't be taken off in the time of the spell duration... I guess it does not matter that blood pebbles are not really removable. But like I said, they just strike me as being more a part of "you".

It also seems a shame that any poor fellow who has to wear a fernweave has to also suffer the indignity of there being a spell that will kill fernweave 100% of the time. I mean even a fire ball is assumed not to kill a fellows fernweave, but how could heat armor NOT kill a fernweave? I would imagine it would not take long to shuck out of a fernweave, but that poor thing is going to be D-E-A-D. (or am I guilty of letting logic into the whole "it's magic" thing?)

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:51 am

I like the flavor of the fernweave dying. However, I don't think you necessarily need to jump straight to do. Fernweave requires watering every three days, so you could say that the fernweave is completely parched at the end of the effect. That means it provides no mystic armor until watered, is easy enough to recover through watering, but has a huge amount of flavor.

As a further note on the living armor stuff, keep in mind that you'd basically be negating one of the racial penalties of Obsidimon. The can only wear living armor, and if suddenly all armor they can weave cannot be effected by the spell, then Obsidimon can guarantee they are never affected by this spell (other than shields).

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:37 am

Blood Peebles can be taken off (properly or with use of knife and spoon :P ), Forge Armor used on it, is in section Armor = Heat Armor will affect it.

Don't confuse Armor Ratings with armor, one is stat the other object.

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:44 am

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:44 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:35 am

Can "I agree" suffice for supporting opinion?

A hidden perception check for the magician might be called for to notice if the target reacts or not.

emeketos

Postby emeketos » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:12 pm

Return to “For Players”