Sticky combat vs Mounted combat

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Razan_GM
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sticky combat vs Mounted combat

Postby Razan_GM » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:04 pm

Adding Response was my take on defending Magicians/Archers. Its kinda strange for me, because of any "sticky combat" rule, to say - You cannot move because rules say it. You want to move you can, but there should be some penalty for not paying attention to opponent attacking you.

Dougansf,
The way we play is: Withrawing from combat looking at opponent halves your movement, if you're not looking you're Blindsided. So if you want to withraw and move to safety you need to use Standard Action for additional move (also halved).

Dougansf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dougansf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:45 pm

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:27 pm

Dougansf,
moving away from close combat (withdrawing is not special action as we play, its just moving away) does not halve your movement, its your choice to move away facing oponent (which halves movement), or just turn around (Blindsided). So to withdraw as safe as you can - you move away facing opponent (halve movement) and use Standard Action to get as far as you can (halving that move also), maybe adding Defensivee Stance for maximum protection. RAW Defensive Stance does not work on attacks that you cannot see, so to take its benefits you need to be facing opponent.

Moving past them is ok if that oponent didnt want to engage you in this round (GM call) and you didnt attack him also, if he did want to engage but have lower Initiative he can use Response.

Blindside is just opposite to where is that withrawing person facing. It last just for that Response attack, and maybe later but that just depends where is that person facing.

Distract Talent p.139 "...The target is considered Blindsided (see p. 386) for the rest of the round. The normal Physical Defense penalty for being Blindsided is replaced with the penalty from this talent, but restrictions still apply—such as being unable to use active defenses." - Dont see any problems here, he is Blindsided for anyone except Distract user, but if he turns around to flee, he is also considered Blindsided for that Adepts Response attack. So its even worse for him.

The Undying,
we are using Real Creatures Speed, so 20 yards is no protection at all, horse can easilly move 36 yards / round (not using Running option).
Even human on foot have 12yards move, with Standard Action move he gets you in 1 round.
Last edited by Razan_GM on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:44 pm

At the end of the day, every group will gravitate towards house rules that they feel best fit their desires in gameplay. This may lead to balance issues, but who cares, ultimate goal is for group to have fun.

That said, remember that a 'round' in RAW ED involves everyone notionally moving at once. If ED were a combat simulator, it would have have staggered actions, something along the lines of action points, to accommodate these kinda of situations. Action Point systems help prevent a number of the things identified in this, and other related, threads, because you can't simply move past people, or you can spend more action points to act faster, or any variety of things.

Facing is a particularly weird thing in ED. RAW, your facing only matters when an action is taken by you or against you, and there is no way (that I'm aware of) to change your facing except on your turn in the round. So the idea of forcing half movement to 'back away' seems weird to me in this context. By the same token, some other things players do are also very weird, a la "I move my full movement bee-line East, and then end my movement facing West so that I'm facing my pursuers." Yeah, you could find ways to mitigate that ("backing away at half movement" or "face in a different direction than vector of movement at the cost of one yard/hex movement"), but does it really matter when the system is already fairly loose by design AND a hex is two yards ("oh, it takes me 1 yard of movement to change facing? ok, so I'm technically only half way through this hex then ... are we really gonna track that?").

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:06 pm

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:11 pm

The Undying,
We are not using hexes. Hex is area where you can reach with your weapon (normally), not only 2 yards distance.

We made our changes because the way We play is (as medieval reenacters) Realism Heavy. We know that turning your back to opponent is in 90% of times a hit to your back, and only sometimes you have luck and he misjudge distance and your speed and will miss (or you have to do something to make him think you still want to hit him and then back away - that is our halved distance/facing rule). Also we know that horses run really fast compared to moving on foot, that is why we use Creatures Real Speed. But its still possible to stab rider when he passes by, thats why we use Response rule.

Thats how WE play it, we like it that way. Im just sharing all this because there are questions, and Im willing to help. Noone have to use our rules, its their choice, I think the more the choices the better.

That Response rule made our team to think more how to fight, when to fight and even do we want to fight.

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:33 pm

It sounds like you have enough house rules that we can't even anticipate what your problems are. Do you have them written up in a google doc?

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:12 pm

Actually we got only 2 house rules, Response and half movement/blindsided. As for Creatures Real Speed, I edited PG and GMG pdfs, changes there are minor really, just on big space because of movement of creatures being on different pages.

It took us 2 sessions to get along with Creatures Real Speed changes, and like 2 more with both house rules. It goes fast and smooth now.

As I stated before in my post Im still willing to share my edited pdfs:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1600&p=16871&hilit=creatures+real+speed#p16871
Last edited by Razan_GM on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:28 pm

Return to “For Game Masters”