Handling large groups with iffy attendance

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
The Undying
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Handling large groups with iffy attendance

Postby The Undying » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:20 am

I am considering running ED4 for one of my gaming groups. The group is on the larger side with six players (GM makes 7). The group size is concerning as I would like to try to focus on NPC interaction and exploration more than characters as bags-o-stats in an unending string of encounters. More than that, however, I'm concerned with group attendance. In general, three players are there 99% of the time, two maybe 80% of the time, and the strangler maybe 20% of the time.

Anyone able to chime in with some advice or lessons learned on running larger groups?

Also, any advice on how to handle the attendance problem, ESPECIALLY when it comes down to LP awards?

Thanks in advance.

Flowswithdrek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Handling large groups with iffy attendance

Postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:48 am

Attendance or lack thereof can be difficult for the GM - especially if like me you have very little time to prepare for each session. I've learned to focus on the players who do show up on a regular basis. All the characters in my campaign get plot lines and plot goals, but the ones that turn up call the shots as to which plot lines get followed. This means non attendance on a regular basis results in the character earning less legend points. Its maybe a bit harsh, but it allows my core group to play without unnecessary disruption to their fun, but allows casual players to jump in when they are available. We meet once ever two weeks and it works for us.

etherial

Postby etherial » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:58 am

Anoush

Postby Anoush » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: attendance

As a GM, I'd want to know why people aren't showing up. Especially the one who only shows up 1 time out of 5.

Based on the answers I get, I'll figure out what action to take. E.g., if the 20% person is out of town on business a lot, maybe they can participate via Skype. Or if they're just not that interested in the game, maybe it'd be best to invite them to leave -- or join a different game they have more interest it.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:41 am

How often are you meeting? Is attendance predictable, meaning you know who is going to be at each session? Maybe you could have something different you play when the Straggler is in, or the Straggler could help run an NPC each session.

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:42 pm

You didn't like my "strangler" mistype?

Games are once a week on a weekday, all professional adults with varying degrees of corporate responsibility. 'Strangler' not being able to attend is work obligations, so can't tele-presence in or anything. The other two are just random in their lack of attendance, unfortunately often with little/no notice. Aside from a little social pressure, not much can be done - it takes a lot for people to be ejected from this group (we're all expats in a foreign country), and we're all friends. The primary note, though, is that any game we run must be able to proceed when the core group is present. We can't plan around a "if all 6 show up, we'll play this, otherwise, someone else needs to have something lined up."

From the mechanics side, I like the idea of half LP when not attending. It should allow people to grow SOME without being left completely behind. My current ED GM for my other group also provided a great idea via only giving thread items (or maybe higher tier thread items) to regular attendees, allowing them to grow horizontally, thereby slowing their Circle progression a bit.

From a scenario perspective, I expect I'd have to double plan encounters: stats and numbers for core-group only and for core + 2, with the + 2 accommodating the Disciplines of the other two. My home-grown adventures would also have to focus on the core-group, with the optional planned opportunities for the + 2 to shine if they happen to show.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Good advice so far. I would also read 'The Alexandrian' blog post about running an 'Open Table':
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/122 ... game-table

Anoush

Postby Anoush » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:30 am

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks for the link, Telarus. I think the 'open table' idea solves *A* problem (allowing for regular gameplay by mostly generalizing the campaign) but not necessarily *THIS* problem (core group following a long-term campaign plus players with erratic attendance). It's interesting that, at the very end of the post, the author says he's had problems adapting the approach to Shadowrun, given Shadowrun's relationship to ED.

While I don't think the open table approach solves my particular problem/concern, I could see how an ED GM could apply the concept. Given the availability of airships, I could see large groups of Adepts getting together for targeted objectives that are easy to compartmentalize while returning to a central meeting place once completed. Fighting slavers, following up on rumors of unopened kaers, maybe even horror-hunting could all fall into this. Adepts may only go on missions with the group when they're in the area, or they may be on a separate mission when the session's mission takes place, easily allowing new/returning characters to come and go. Specifically for the megadungeon idea, Haven would easily fit that mold, including straight up 'adventures and riches' exploration. Of course, that's also not to say that a GM couldn't develop a rich campaign around these open table concepts so that those that stay with the group, or come around more often, would see events unfolding and maturing.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:31 am

I'm hoping for some cool stuff out of the "Living Barsaive" guys along the above lines. :)

Return to “For Game Masters”