Space Flight

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tadeus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Space Flight

Postby Tadeus » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:48 pm

I've already started this in another topic, but there are still some things which I don't understand and some, which I think I understand, but they don't make sense to me.

Facts from the rulebook:

Shields & Speed

1. Most big ships have stronger shields than small ships.
2. Bigger ships need to spend more energy/shield to protect the hull from space debris at the same speed.

That's why most small ships are as fast as big ships.

Acceleration

1. Long range travell involves long periods of accelerating and deccelerating.
2. It takes only 4 rounds to accelerate to full speed (according to the book because of Vau tech) and 5 actions to deccelerate.

These two together don't make any sense.

3. A ship in space will fly until you start to deccelerate. There is no friction.
4. There are a lot of space particles smashing into the shield almost the whole time.

Why don't they slow down the ship?

Wrong fact: It's better to avoid going full speed for longer periods of time, cause the ship has no shields to protect from debris.
Why?: The shields are there in full strenght, they are just all used to protect the ship from debris and cannot help against enemy fire. As long as your shields are not damaged you can go full speed.

Wrong fact: Ships with stronger shields can go faster.
Why?: Because most of the time they are larger and need this surplus of shields to protect the bigger hull.

It would be really nice if there would be a difference in travell time/acceleration/agility of ships in the new edition.

As it stands now there is no sense in flying a fighter, not even a bonus to dodge. A mechanic should either make sense or be fun, this one isn't fun and doesn't make any sense. How about a change? :)

Calvin

Re: Space Flight

Postby Calvin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 am

Space is quite empty. A "debris cloud" in astronomical scale means a few grains here and there that you often have to manouver against on purpouse to spot.

I'm going to stick with months-long space trips. Space travel is supposed to be a hard, lengthy ordeal. Speeding up travel time is usually no problem in other settings, we've all been the group of adventurers trying to lug from point A to point B on foot, or if we were lucky, with some sort of beast aid.

Some guys made a modular ship design system and posted a link to it on the old forum... Does anyone have it?

Tadeus

Postby Tadeus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 am

Calvin

Postby Calvin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 pm

I tells you, some player group out there will construct the 20-G kinetic planetbuster missile and point it at Byzantium II!

Communications lag is one of the primary mechanics I like to use to enable feudalism. If your prince is two weeks courier travel away it has far less implications than half a year of travel to reach between the far ends of House space.

I'm actually curious about what tactics are used in space combat at different scales. Space combat in the systems I have used is often quite quick and brutal. Spacecraft are fragile things. FS does have black box tech in the form of shields to alter that however.

Digger

Postby Digger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Just to say there are also some deck plans on the DeviantArt Fading Suns page.
Visit the Earthdawn and Fading Suns DeviantArt Groups or just take a look at my images
DramaScape Line Developer

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:05 am

Return to “For Game Masters”