[ED4] Astral Sense and Astral Targeting

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [ED4] Astral Sense and Astral Targeting

Postby Mataxes » Sun May 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure it's a big enough problem to warrant hard-coded mechanics. There's a lot of digital ink being spilled on the fiddly semantic details of a narrow interaction of a couple things.

(Honestly, this feels like the kind of discussion that comes about from people looking to either take advantage of a perceived hole, or looking to prevent abuse of a perceived hole. Not that I am accusing anybody here of either, that's just what it feels like to me.)
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Dougansf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dougansf » Sun May 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Sun May 15, 2016 10:29 pm

I think the big issue is a lack of terminology differentiation.

When you first use Astral Sight, you must beat the MD of Astral Space (6+ corruption usually). That allows you to sense the Astral Imprint of everything within range, but with no specific detail. I'd call this Pattern Detection.

Subsequent uses of Astral Sight (for no additional strain during the original duration p211) can be targeted at a specific Imprint to glean more information about it. The test is against the targets MD. I'd call this Pattern Analysis.

It seems that Pattern Analysis is what allows various spells to trigger "having astrally sensed" the target.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Sun May 15, 2016 11:09 pm

Duvvelsheyss

ChrisDDickey

Postby ChrisDDickey » Mon May 16, 2016 8:15 am

ChrisDDickey

Postby ChrisDDickey » Mon May 16, 2016 11:13 am

Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Mon May 16, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDDickey

Postby ChrisDDickey » Mon May 16, 2016 11:25 am

Here is another fun little twist to ask the experts about.

It seems like somebody gets to make one Astral Sense per round as a simple action (while doing something else).

Am I correct in assuming that while you are "focusing" on one thing, you are not seeing the overview that the astral sense spell allows?

IE: if you want to, you can get an overview of the entire 30 yard sphere, but not at great detail. Or you can focus in to get greater detail. But you can't do both in the same round. So lets say that in the cottage example, there was a whole ruffian camp in the woods behind the cottage, just outside the range of the initial sensing. After the wizard moves to the back of the cottage the camp would be in range and any time the wizard got such an overview he would spot the camp and the ruffian reinforcements hurrying towards the sound of the fight. But so long as the wizard is using his Astral Sensing tests to "establish targeting lock" for the Astral Target spell, he is not going to be getting that overview.

Correct?

Panda

Postby Panda » Mon May 16, 2016 12:55 pm

Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

etherial

Postby etherial » Mon May 16, 2016 1:20 pm

ChrisDDickey

Postby ChrisDDickey » Mon May 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Mon May 16, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “For Players”