Ceremony to become Questing Knight

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Grummore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ceremony to become Questing Knight

Postby Grummore » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:07 pm

I have been searching for toooooo long now the information regarding the knighting of Alexius questing knights.

Where does it happen?
When does it happen?
How does it happen?
What do you need it to happen?

There are few information in the player guide when you "build" a questing knight and a few reasons why you could have gotten there, but still, we have no idea or information on the how you can become one, what are the steps to get there.

I was curious as one of my character would like to reach that status "after" character creation.

Angelman

Re: Ceremony to become Questing Knight

Postby Angelman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:50 pm

To my knowledge, there is no official information on this, but seeing as loads of scions from every Royal and Minor House are reqruited into the Questing Knights, the process can't be too complicated. My own view is that officer/veteran Questing Knights can "deputize" suitable knights would serve for a probitionary period before s/he is properly knighted at some QK headquarter or other (preferably on Byzantium Secundus). I don't know if this fits canon very well, however.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Alexius is the head of the order so I imagine he personally ordains new inductees. And why wouldn't he? It inspires a kind of loyalty to know that the Emperor himself has chosen you to save the known worlds.

The Ceremony is only moderately formal in that there is a public display of the knighting and taking the oath of service and then there's administrative workings, such as the creation of the badge, resitration within the order, formalizing cohorts and assignment.

I'd be surprised if there was any form or function to when it happens but since the Emperor's time is precious it would happen on his schedule. Likely with multiple knights being inducted at once. Most knights would be brought into the order at their headquarters on Byzantium Secundus, but it's also very likely that Alexius makes stops when he's travelling the worlds to formalize a knight into the order between a speech and a dinner.

Beyond being of noteworthy blood or gaining the peerage of other knights, you would have to distinguish yourself in the qualities that Questing knights admire, acts of courage or determination or just being remarkably effective in the pursuit of truth or justice. Any Questing Knight or any Imperial Officer can likely submit a recommendation to the order on your behalf. The order likely utilizes some help from the Imperial Eye to vet prospective knights. The influence of your family is probably meaningless for your admission however strong political enemies will likely bar your admission (Unles the Emperor admires how you handle those enemies). Your history is important but your representation is likely more important. There are surely many questing knights of House Hazat from Vera Cruz, but chances are there are very few Church knights from Malignitus so the bar to admit them would likely be much lower. Hawkwood knights have a better chance of becoming a saint than a Questing knight at this point, but an Amalthean Church Knight could probably be admitted into the questing knights so long as they haven't committed imperial treason.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:43 pm

I don't see the Emperor initiating every new Questing Knight. He probably did, once upon a time, but as recruits flock to his order from all the 40 or so inhabited planets of the Known Worlds now that there is peace in the realm, rather imagine he no longer have the time to oversee it himself. Probably, IMHO, Alexius only inducts the officers and honored veterans a couple of times a year, in big mass ceremonies on B2.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:23 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Darksyde

Postby Darksyde » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Part of m planning for a new game I was envisioning a big group ceremony, kinda like the swearing in of new citizens, hosted by the emperor. A huge crowd of new questing knights and their companions to recite a final oath/pledge led by the big guy before they are off on their first mission. Probably not realistic but I thought it lend a bit more drama to the start of a new game.

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:03 pm

I like the idea of maybe a yearly or twice-yearly function where the Alexius, any Knights on Byzantium and a class of new recruits being knighted. I don't think there is a formal academy for the knights but there may be something of a basic training and registration process. Maybe some testing for aptitudes, vetting by the Imperial Eye, and other activities to keep the recruits busy. Probably lots of busy work, following other knights and performing some duties as a squire.

Perhaps there are a few distinguished squires who, as part of the ceremony, get knighted by Alexius himself, and then a larger group ceremony with an oath, etc.

This would be great stuff for Rise of the Phoenix. Remind me Angelman when we start writing it. :)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Grummore

Postby Grummore » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Maybe some web bonus could be made about these things and be included in future product?

Return to “For Game Masters”