Running Earthdawn as a Newbie

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Jkar of Ishpier
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Running Earthdawn as a Newbie

Postby Jkar of Ishpier » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi everybody! I'm running ED 4e for the first time as a campaign. I'm looking for any and all resources that will make GMing as efficient as possible. Specifically, I'm looking to have handy the following:

Charts and Tables (GM screen forthcoming solves this)
A source of pre-started adept NPCs of various circle so I don't need to make them from scratch
Basic Gm advice for staying organized and keeping the game moving
Anything that will help an experienced player and semi-expeienced GM keep the game exciting

Thanks in advance!

Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Running Earthdawn as a Newbie

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:23 pm

There are, of course, sample Circle 1 characters in the Player's Guide. Also, Panda has some examples on his site: . I think they're Circle 8, though.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:33 pm

For general "Fantasty Roelplaying" & how to manage a campaign advice, check out the Alexandrian blog: http://thealexandrian.net/

I'll have to think of some ED specific advice. :)

Jkar of Ishpier

Postby Jkar of Ishpier » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Thanks guys! Very helpful!

EbonWarlock

Postby EbonWarlock » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Just an additional idea:

If your players haven't played ED before it can sometimes help to start them in a Kaer that has either recently opened or is just about to open -it gives the players a chance to adjust to the different 'feel' of ED compared to other settings like Forgotten Realms.

When I first played ED (first edition) there was nothing even remotely like it available (at least in Australia) so it was a bit of a learning curve.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:40 am

What I plan to do when I start my game back up (we moved again over the summer, sigh) is to provide some pregens and a starter adventure, after which the players can continue with those or make their own. My thought is that the players can dive right into the action, get a feel for how it plays, and then decide what role they want to try their hand at. The pregens can become NPCs or get killed or whatever.

The Kaers are so central to Earthdawn that bringing them in early is great - in explaining kaers, you explain so much about the setting.

Welcome to Earthdawn!

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:43 am

Oooh, but starting them on an airship or riverboat would also be awesome, and very uniquely Barsaive.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:50 am

etherial

Postby etherial » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:22 am

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Ooh, or they could meet in a tavern!

...What? Not uniquely Earthdawn enough? <grin>

The newly-opening-kaer concept is ideal for new players because then you can have characters who know as little about the world as the players do... and having players who know as little about the world as the characters do can make for a really awesome game. They can actually *discover* all those things experienced players already know about.

Return to “For Game Masters”