Want a little setting background discussion?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Want a little setting background discussion?

Postby Mataxes » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi there all. I wanted to point you to a thread over at RPG.net -- "In Which We Spoil the Metaplots of RPGs"

A bunch of games are talked about, and both Shadowrun and Earthdawn are brought up. If you're interested in some insight into the back-story of what's going on in Barsaive, and why things are the way they are, you can check it out.

The Earthdawn discussion doesn't really get started until about post 300 in the thread. gives the first really broad overview of the connections between SR and ED (and doesn't really provide anything new to those familiar with things). We get deeper as the thread goes on.

(I love talking about that stuff, by the way.)
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Flowswithdrek

Re: Want a little setting background discussion?

Postby Flowswithdrek » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:32 pm

I've been glued to the thread. Some interesting stuff I didn't know the full story to, but reading the deeper mystery stuff that my NDA says I can't talk about is strangely amusing :)

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:20 am

Sweet. I also love reading this stuff. Thanks for the link!

freid78

Postby freid78 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Gosh, I got the big meta plot all wrong!! Well... not everything, but i'm amazed to see that the Dragons vs Therans is just a smoke screen to hide the real battle, that is the Immortal elves vs their masters. I truly believe the therans had a humble start, with real feeling toward saving lives, stuff that the empire killed via bureaucrates, oligarch (or just wealth) and the sense of superior strength/might against every other nations. But now... gosh, dragons are evil :P

In my game, immortal elves are not spawns of dragons. In fact, those elves are Alamaise failed breeding process. The elfs of the court, imbued with magical power from the dragon father, became insolent and banished him from wyrm wood. And at the edge of destruction, the mighty pride from what Alamaise molded them was the ultimate reason of the Ritual of the Torns. Denaristas tought he could do better with humains. The pride of the dragon blood would be tempered by death, where a humain life span is by far shorter. I guess that another story, but for the immortal elves, I introduce the idea that those elves were the one who actually made the Wheel of Life, and completed it. The reward for such a journey is the citadel of the shining ones (upon death?), but for those unwilling to depart, life would not end on earth by natural means. Having immortaly doesn't come from blood, or from dragon magic, but from personnal achevements. I guess I need to dump this idea now :P

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Well, to be more accurate, Dragons vs. Therans is a subset of Immortal Elves vs. Dragons, since the founders of Thera are a faction of immortal elves themselves... and also simmering in the background is conflict of Immortal Elves vs. Immortal Elves (Therans vs. Elven Court vs. Elven Nations).

One of the curses of long life is lots of opportunity to squabble with your cousins....

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi

ArcadianRefugee

Postby ArcadianRefugee » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks for the link! I love the connections (so dearly loved Shadowrun...).

Personally, I'm still dying to know what happened at the 2009 GenCon Shadowrun Tournament and Idol Threats....

:twisted:

Sangius

Postby Sangius » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 am

Is there any chance Fasa and CGL could collaborate again on some level? Separating the two settings is so painful ...

Return to “For Game Masters”