New Blog Post - Update and Preview

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Blog Post - Update and Preview

Postby etherial » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:15 am

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mataxes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:53 am

In addition, corruption may not manifest in a way that affects a character's artisan tests. The belief may have arisen from cases where it did, but it isn't a reliable method -- it's largely superstition.

The Corruption mechanic is intended to do a couple of things. First, it provides a mechanic to explore a particular type of story. If you (as the GM) want to do a story where a Horror actually tempts a PC, Corruption can be used as the cost of accepting that aid. In this sort of situation, it may be better to keep the threshold secret to limit a player's ability to metagame. ("I have 9 Corruption points, better head off to the shrine to get that removed by the Questor.") It can work with 'public' Corruption values, but could change the tone of the game.

(In general, "Corruption Points" are only intended to be something that applies to PCs -- unless you are specifically building a scenario around a GMC where the accumulation of points represents a kind of time limit.)

The other thing Corruption does is provide a bit of a background mechanic for the way that tainted/corrupted areas (like the Badlands or the Wastes) can affect the native wildlife, allowing for twisted creatures to be created without necessarily needing to have a Horror use powers like Forge Construct on them. It may be that (as we explore these sorts of areas in future books) by spending a lot of time in these areas, a character might accumulate corruption. This could also tie in to the expansion of the Badlands, or the way the ash from the Wastes affects the Poison Forest.

The mechanic is currently rather vague, and doesn't really interact with much of anything outside of a couple examples in Horror powers. This is by design -- it is not something suited to every game, and we don't want to force it on groups where it doesn't really fit.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Notaure

Postby Notaure » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi,
i'm very happy to see this new rule about corruption but i think that the PC's"corruption jauge" should be coupled with his charisma or his artistic skill...
:thumbup:
Notaure, a french fan of Earthdawn

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Interesting. I have to say, it sounds like you guys are doing a very good job with this! It's hard to introduce a new piece to an already running machine.. my first thought when reading it was (naturally) dismay, because I love the almost completely story-driven aspect that Horror Taint currently has -- it keeps it very unpredictable. Players, even players who have read the GM's Guide, really don't know if Artisan Tests mean anything at all, or if you can get Horror Marked just by shaking hands... and that's kind of important, really.

But as I read on... apart from being optional and ignorable (unlike most of your other changes, which are too entwined to ignore any of without pretty much having to just go back to 3e... hehe), it seems to be also abstract enough that it doesn't interfere with any of that. Just gives GMs a suggestion on how to implement and track it, in a way that feels a bit less like just saying, "Muahaha! You touched the wrong brick! You're suddenly overwhelmed with the urge to murder everyone you care about." (<-- That is a Deliberately Extreme Example, by the way.) And it gives a great handle for customizing rules that might affect other things... you could quietly apply those points as a subtle effect on someone's rolls.

I also have to agree that just saying Questors can totally heal Corruption would be a mistake, but with that said, I notice that all you said was that some Questor powers will interact with Corruption. So I'm happy to bet that a simple `cure' is probably not in there. Abilities to sense how strong it is? Things that might suppress Corruption, akin to "Bear Mark" and "Suppress Curse" (what was wrong with Abate, by the way?)... things like that, yes. "Interact" also suggests that there might be Questor Powers with descriptions like, "..but won't work on anyone with 5 or more Corruption points, if Corruption points are being used." That's an interaction, right?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Josh Harrison --

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Josh Harrison --

freid78

Postby freid78 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:34 pm

The last comment makes me wonder... if this is all still nebulous, and you want to playtest this, does it mean we'll have to wait another year before the GM is out?

Gosh, that would kill me :P

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Not at all. :)

It's just something we'll be testing and exploring as we work on future books.

What we have in the GM Guide right now is in a good place. It should be coming back from proofing/editorial later this afternoon, and then it will go over to layout. Based on the normal turnaround, a pre-art release will probably be available by this weekend (or maybe just after).
Josh Harrison --

Notaure

Postby Notaure » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:20 pm

I mean, like toughness indicate health ratings, charisma could indicate "corruption rating" for PC? it's better than the lowest Attribute value...?
on the other side, like avoid blow for physical danger / steel thought for magical danger / resist taunt for charisma danger, artistic or an "art" talent could be for "corruption danger"...? this is not a new mechanic, it's just the same mechanic applied for a new concept! ;)
Notaure, a french fan of Earthdawn

freid78

Postby freid78 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:01 pm

I don't like this approach... not at all! It's better to graft another stat. Sorry if I sound too much L5R, but the corruption stat should only go up, and seperated from attributes.

Return to “Product Discussion”