Earthdawn 4e first time playing..

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
H2Os
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Earthdawn 4e first time playing..

Postby H2Os » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:36 pm

It was a blast. I enjoy the step system, it has a nice flow to it. The DM I'm running with really knows the history of Earthdawn, the whole experience was quite enjoyable. Playing on Roll20 isn't as fun as being able to roll real dice, but it was a great experience regardless. I was caught on the bad end of some exploding dice, but I squeaked out with 3 health!

Perhaps someone could answer this. If I stand in a defensive stance, will it stack with Acrobatic Defense?

Also if I may plug our group, there's currently 3 players playing including the Gm so if anyone has interest in the group, we would like more players. We play Monday's at 6:30-9:30pm est. hit me up with a pm. We currently consist of a windling illusionist and a dwarf thief. We had a Orc warrior but he backed out on us. Anyways we'd love people to join us. Parlainths doors beckon us!

H2Os

etherial

Re: Earthdawn 4e first time playing..

Postby etherial » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:02 pm

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Actually it stacks. Bonus to defense.

"At the gamemaster’s discretion, this penalty may also be waived for defensive actions, like Avoid Blow tests. A character cannot use the Defensive Stance and Aggressive Attack combat options in the same round."

Penalty for tests (-3). Not the +3 bonus to Defenses. But its up to GM if while you use Defensive Stance, your Acrobatic Defense test gets that penalty as it is a defensive Talent.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:22 pm

First off, glad you are enjoying the game!

Second, I would allow the Defensive Stance bonus to stack with Acrobatic Defense, but apply the -3 penalty to the Acrobatic Defense test.

My reasoning is this:

With Defensive Stance you are 'turtling' (after a fashion), holding back, watching and being cautious in order to protect yourself.

Avoid Blow (being reactive) fits reasonably well with that idea and shouldn't be penalized.

On the other hand, Acrobatic Defense is more proactive, and requires a certain freedom of movement. While it is "defensive" (in that it provides a bonus to Physical Defense), it doesn't fit as well (in my mind) with Defensive Stance.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:15 pm

personally I wouldn't allow it to stack. One is a stance, the other is series of acrobatic movements, they don't reconcile in my head.

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm glad I at least remembered to use the word "effectively". I would apply the penalty to the Acrobatic Defense Test. If you succeed in the test, both Defense Bonuses apply.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:43 pm

I may hit you up on this online playing thing ... first I need to get access to a computer

(how did he post that without a computer. is he magic? or a little drunk and an consequently gifted with magical powers? probably the latter ...)

Griznah

Postby Griznah » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 am

H2Os

Postby H2Os » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:27 pm

for anyone interested:

thanks for the clarifications!

Return to “Product Discussion”