Developer Blog: Creatures (Revisited)

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Developer Blog: Creatures (Revisited)

Postby Baravakar » Sun May 17, 2015 10:51 am

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mataxes » Sun May 17, 2015 1:15 pm

Taking advantage of these creature specific options doesn't need to be declared until you have the extra successes to spend (so, after the attack roll, before determining damage). The 'cost' of these extra options is paid for with the extra successes, rather than with Strain.

Part of the reason "combat options" from the Player's Guide are declared before Initiative is because they can affect Defense Ratings -- allowing a character to wait until their turn in the round can cause some potentially wonky things with timing. For example, if somebody wants to use Defensive Stance, but isn't given the chance to "activate" it until their action, what happens if they roll low and end up acting last?

Heck, look at the original version of Maneuver for a similar example -- Swordmaster acts after his opponent one round, new PD from Maneuver kicks in when he takes his action. Goes before his opponent next round, hasn't been hit, so gains the bonus from Maneuver, despite the "risk" involved never actually coming into play.

That said, I can't think of any examples off the top of my head from the new stuff being added that have potential timing issues.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

etherial

Postby etherial » Sun May 17, 2015 1:26 pm

For consistency, though, you may want to reclassify them as Free Actions instead of Combat Options.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun May 17, 2015 1:38 pm

For clarity, your going to have to create an entire section to explain the difference between the rules you released and the new rules you are creating.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sun May 17, 2015 2:29 pm

That is in the plan already.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun May 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Cool. I like Free Actions also, to make it clear they are not declared at the start of the round like Combat Options. If follows the "Free Actions" description in the Player's Guide quite well.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon May 18, 2015 7:21 am

I think there is a strong chance that we'll see some craziness in game with all of these new options - which is essentially a bunch of new lightly tested rules! Some options are going to be more brutal or totally inconsequential and it will be tough to know until a little gaming has happened. That said, I like it. I think a little craziness is in order.

freid78

Postby freid78 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Following p.270 of the player's guide, I do hope the creatures of the gamemaster's guide will take into consideration the sub-types. It would make sense to make the Magma Beast immune to fire damage for example ;)

Return to “Product Discussion”