Developer Blog: Creatures (Revisited)

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Developer Blog: Creatures (Revisited)

Postby Mataxes » Wed May 13, 2015 12:14 am

New Developer Blog!

Taking a second look at creatures.

http://www.fasagames.com/blog/?post_id= ... (revisited)
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Developer Blog: Creatures (Revisited)

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed May 13, 2015 2:20 am

I really like this. The format flows very well, love the new Combat Options section.

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed May 13, 2015 6:06 am

Not every chapter needs whiz-bang new features, but I like what you've done here.

Sundahk

Postby Sundahk » Wed May 13, 2015 7:11 am

Good stuff Mataxes!

Format is better. Makes it easier to find stats at a glance (especially Attribute Steps - top to bottom works better IMO).
Creature specific Combat Options are a great addition! Utilizing extra attack successes in different ways gives combat more flavour, and offers fighters a few more options [our group had been considering similar house rules because the fighters saw the magicians using their extra Spellcasting successes/threads in different ways, while they were stuck using their additional successes for more damage. You've saved us the hassle :) ]. My players with Creature Lore will also be happy their skill now offers more than: "Roll to see if you know the name of this creature and whether it will lay eggs in your brain..."
Lastly, thanks for clearing up the distinction about which creatures can be animal companions. The Animal Bond disclaimer: "non-sentient, natural creatures" has always left things wide open to interpretation (Is a Globberog considered natural? Natural by what standard?).
Anyway, look forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

MaxLiao

Postby MaxLiao » Wed May 13, 2015 11:21 am

I like it -- a great format that is easy to read and use in game.

While I understand with the 'more of the same' sentiment in general, I like the idea of updating former editions' creatures to 4th edition. I'm not sure any of my groups ever wants to see another Cave Crab; the one-armed T'Skrang Swordmaster most of all. ;)

Are there plans for publishing a sort of Creature Creation Guidelines? I'd be good with it or simply making my own anyway, but I've always been a fan following some sort of standard.
• •
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 am

Josh Harrison --

Roth

Postby Roth » Thu May 14, 2015 1:30 am

Cave Crab seems off.

PD of 10 versus 8th circle characters?
Typical 'attacking stat' will be step 7 'attacking talent' rank is 8, karma is nearly unlimited by that point, your around 18/19 before you start in with magic items, stat increases, group patterns, spells, and so on.
Same basic setup for damage.
Why not increase the loot rewards for the increased circle of the creature?

Espagra is a bit more of a challenge.

If you don't use the straight +mod and use the +step bonus the Thunder Beast will be a bruiser for a group to deal with, Step 30 damage at circle 5 against players can be brutal.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Thu May 14, 2015 6:03 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Thu May 14, 2015 7:10 pm

You don't need to. The indicated Steps are what you roll.

So "Tracking (8)" means the wolf rolls 2D6 on Tracking tests. (We've tried to cut back on using "ranks" for creature abilities.)

"Enhanced Sense [Smell] (2): Tracking" means that an adept using Borrow Sense on the wolf gains a +2 bonus to their own Tracking tests.

Edit to add:

With regard to the first point, yes. You have Attack Step (Damage Step) for each attack type.
Josh Harrison --

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Fri May 15, 2015 11:42 am

Return to “Product Discussion”