[ED4] Ritual spells and additionnal threads

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [ED4] Ritual spells and additionnal threads

Postby Tattered Rags » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:48 pm

Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tattered Rags » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 pm

As a side note, since I wonder if you, Baravakar, really believe the spell would fail "as per the rules", I would note that I think a small paragraph about ritual casting in the "Casting Spells" Or "Spellcasting Sequence" wouldn't have been a terrible idea.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:44 pm

I don't think the spell fails. I just wanted to say there are two contradictory rules in play here. Which is why I asked for an FAQ on the matter.

daedalron

Postby daedalron » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:43 am

Just thought of another question in relation to ritual spells.

A grimoire can be attuned only for a few minutes (an hour at most). It's more than enough to cast a normal spell, but what about ritual spells ? Does that mean those spells are too complex to be cast using grimoires ?
It's kinda strange, as grimoire use is designed to be used when you have time to prepare the casting (which would be the case in ritual casting).

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to just clarify that ritual casting does not follow the rules for normal spellcasting but instead differs as written in the text of the spell description?

As was pointed out elsewhere, too, I think the solution for your "takes too long to cast for the duration" will be the solved once the rules for making things permanent are released. Not that house ruling your particular change unbalanced that spell, as far as I can tell.

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:04 am

Well you can make any house rule you want.

But.... "The time to weave these threads takes the rest of the 8 hour day. The character can not perform any other actions during this time (besides normal eating, sleeping etc). "

In spell all you have to do is "spend half an hour a day inscribing..." and player can do what he want for the rest of the day, so why complicate it more? This ritual is rather simple and not problematic. Its a 5 circle spell so it lasts at least 5 weeks (Spellcasting rank), plus extra threads (2 at 5 circle, +2 weeks per thread), and succcess levels its almost sure that even for a 5 circle magician its gonna be 10 weeks, and if you want you can start weaving another spell before previous ends.

Some spells were created after discovery of spell matrix talents, because you can attune to grimoire only for "...requires a Patterncraft test against the spell’s reattunement difficulty. The attunement lasts for ten minutes per success." I guess this ritual wasnt ment to be cast with grimoire casting. Grimoire casting is an outdated casting method.

Its your choice to houserule it, but the way it is now:
-it takes two weeks (half an hour a day) for the ritual that lets you weave threads
-occupy one matrix until cast

as for Extra Threads I realized that its not the weaving that last for one week, but the ritual that lets you weave the threads.
So yes, after first week you weave first thread (plus any Extra Threads with high weaving roll), after second week you weave second thread (plus any Extra Threads with high weaving roll), and after those 2 weeks the ritual is over so you can weave all Extra Threads you want in rounds and cast the spell. Simple, easy and player friendly :)

daedalron

Postby daedalron » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:23 am

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:31 am

Panda

Postby Panda » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:30 am

Tattered Rags, are you implying I would start an Earthdawn game and run players through emotional turmoil for three years just to pull some cheap Max Max Beyond Thunderdome reference on them? This is a rather pointed accusation, don't you think? Completely accurate, but that aside, rather pointed. Still, completely accurate.

There are two small fixes to this which should resolve everything:

Add the following text to the spell:

"Threads from this spell are sustained while casting if the spell is no longer attuned to a spell matrix or grimoire."

Add the following text to grimoire casting:

"If a spell being cast from a grimoire requires more time than attunement would normally last (e.g. a ritual which requires 30 minutes per thread woven), attunement to the grimoire is maintained until casting is completed."
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Return to “Product Discussion”