Familiars

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Magic_Octopus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Familiars

Postby Magic_Octopus » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:32 am

How common are familiars in your games? I hear they are going to be omitted from the 4th edition? Are there some significant problems with them? For roleplaying reasons I think familiars are an interesting concept. My game that is going to start in a week will have a Troll Illusionist, and I wondered if I should recommend acquiring a familiar at some point to him.

etherial

Re: Familiars

Postby etherial » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:21 am

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:18 am

Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:24 am

Especially where part of the reason for familiars was because it allowed Cavalryman and Beastmaster characters to have an animal companion that was able to stay more mechanically relevant. The new talents on the Beastmaster (Enhance Animal Companion, for example) alleviate some of that need.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Spader

Postby Spader » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:47 am

In my group, Familiar are always popular with spellcasters and beastmasters.

Spellcasters always enjoy an easy extra matrix. And it help the beastmaster keep their beast more useful in combat.

But has Mataxes says, in forth edition, it is no longer necessary for beastmasters. Though I'm very curious to know if the familiar in forth edition will be different, and how much.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 pm

There are not currently any plans for them to be in the GM Guide, so the Companion is most lilkely.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Just a thought here...

The current rules for familiars are more beneficial to magicians (spell matrix) then other adepts. I feel this should be modified so that the beneficial effects have more meaning for each discipline. Maybe expand the pool of purchased effects (talents) beyond animal possession and spell matrix.

Return to “For Players”