[ED4] Matrices

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Panda

Re: [ED4] Matrices

Postby Panda » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:19 pm

I disagree based on playtesting and trying to abuse the system - Versatility should not be able to be used to take unlimited spell matrices. Any spell matrices learned from another discipline count as the talent option from said discipline - meaning if you are an Elementalist who has learned all of their spell matrices, another Elementalist cannot teach you the same spell matrices as you already have them. As well, if you then learn the spell matrices from a Nethermancer and eventually take the discipline, you cannot then also select those spell matrices as talent options since you have already learned them.

There are a number of reasons for this - I had them all typed out, then the internet ate them. Or maybe my stupid fingers pressed the magical combination of keys which made me go back to the previous page and everything was lost. Those are the same thing, right? It is something each group should decide for themselves, but with the knowledge there are reasons to put these limitations in place and equating Versatility to thread items is not a good way to justify allowing all of the spell matrices.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Panda

Postby Panda » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:33 pm

This is not how Thread Weaving works. Additional Thread Weaving talents do not grant the ability to attach more threads, only the highest ranked talent counts for this purpose.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Spader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Spader » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Roth » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:23 am

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:20 am

Spader

Postby Spader » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Just by curiosity, while you were working on the rules of the forth edition, have you ever thought of making Thread Weaving a free talent or something related to half magic? Something like you did with Karma ritual and Durability...

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:19 pm

It was a topic which came up and was evaluated during playtesting and development. As with all things, there were pros and cons to going in either direction. Ultimately, based on the feedback and direction, the current situation is were it ended up.

If anyone finds the costs based on the situation onerous, which is perfectly fair, my suggestion is to make them free talents (as you suggested) rather than allow each thread weaving talent to have its own host of threads. Effectively unlimited thread items can have some unfortunate side effects. Such as the t'skrang with the same fashion sensibilities as Mr. T; he had all of the necklaces - all of them. It also puts adepts who choose to follow a single discipline at a significant disadvantage compared to those who follow multiple disciplines.

Spader

Postby Spader » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:55 pm

It could also be that Thread Weaving is only ONE talent that counts for all disciplines. Except that is the discipline in itself that grant Thread Weaving special behavior (like weaving spell threads)...

Something like:
1st Circle
Weave Elemental magic: The elementalist is able to weave elemental spells using his Thread Weaving Talent.

Of course, it would shut the door for humans trying short cuts to learn new kinds of spells via Versatility, but...

Dark Schneider

Postby Dark Schneider » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:17 pm

It would also cause an issue of limiting your thread weaving to your circle. Especially with mage classes where they are more likely to raise that in order to be able to weave extra threads into a spell

Return to “Product Discussion”