Names for the Noble

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Names for the Noble

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 am

Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bearman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bearman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:09 am

Well many names today are derived from saints perhaps that would be fitting for FS too?

What about humans adopting alien names? I know that aliens are lesser beings in the KW but still their uniqu contributions to society would eventually lead to a kind of syncretism?
Perhaps moreso with aliens adopting human names to fit in with the upper echelons of society?

Using a title or trade as a persons name would be viable aswell I think. Smith, Carpenter, Cook or what have you. Earl is an old english title derived from Ealdorman which was the person(s) closest to the king in Anglo-Saxon England and still we use it as a name 1400 years later. Some things are just hard to weed out of the language even if it changes usage - "Earl" is hardly a noble name these days! :-)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:27 am

Good points.

Perhaps we need to first think about what kinds of name cathegories we want? We could, for simplicity's sake, do noble houses as tentative cathegories (it would hardly be difficult for a player of an asiatic Hawkwood to search the Li Halan list for a suitable name after all), stressing that these are stereotypical faction-to-name groupings. Another cathegory might be "Hero names", i.e. any name that carries cultural importance in the setting such as Vladimir, Zebulon, Maya, etc. Guilders might often have craft based names, or possibly SciFi names that sounds techy. Accademics/theologians might favour latinized versions of names.

Thoughts?
(numerous projects)

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:06 am

$4 http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... s_id=89285

Everyone Everywhere. Great product. I have two :) But it has lists from various cultures. Great for those npc names.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:23 am

This looks interesting :)
(numerous projects)

the Captain

Postby the Captain » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:57 am

Here is a thought, after each name we could throw a (M), (F) or (N) if we felt our suggestion is for a specific gender, or neutral. Or we can leave it completely open for interpretation, and let folks sort them out on their own. I'm just going to go with the flow and group ethnicity and House.

I also like the idea of corrupting current roles/proper nouns, to create names fit for 3000 years from now.

EDIT: List moved to first post.
Last edited by the Captain on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 am

Cool.
There should probably be a way to differentiate between given names & surnames.
(numerous projects)

the Captain

Postby the Captain » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm

How about just an (S) afterward. When I put everything into one list, I will seperate the surnames for clarity.

Tadeus

Postby Tadeus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:11 pm

In my sessions it's easy:

Decados - mostly russian
Hazat - mostly spanish
Hawkwood - classical names, mostly the ones derived from greek and latin in the english form.
al-Malik - mostly arabic
Li Halan - mostly chinese or japanese

All the rest - a mix of any existing names + some that I've made up (Star Wars style).

Ppl, who come from families with a Church tradition can also have pure latin, liturgic sounding names.

In places that don't see many groups of people mixing the majority of serfs will also have names that fit the "nationality" of their lords.

There are also nobles with names that don't match the house trend, but they are mostly in the minor families of the house. The high aristocracy or the "core families" of a house will almost always show national traits.

And how do I create a full name?

Title + Multiple First Names + Family Name + House Name

The titles, the family names and the house names are listed in the noble book. The only thing left is the first name.

If you know the nationality it's very easy to google for "russian names" etc.

Danos

Postby Danos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm

Yeah, I tend to pick a nation, use google to find a baby name list, and then swap some letters around on names that look OK. I also use Everyone Everywhere the same way. I roll twice for a name, and mash the names together for something sci-fi-ish. For nobles, roll for a last name and drop or add a letter or two to make it a first name. It tends to work for me.

Return to “For Game Masters”