Digital PDF release, also as EPUB /MOBI ?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sangeet
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Digital PDF release, also as EPUB /MOBI ?

Postby Sangeet » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:19 am

Hi,

my question is, if you would consider not only a PDF release, but also a release for Ebook readers, in a format like MOBI, AZW3 or something similar? I would really appreciate it, as readers like Kindle are behaving more like books in comparison to tablet computers, and make reading a lot easier. Engine Publishing does multiple releases as well, and graphics are also possible in AZW3 /MOBI format.

Qui_Revient_de_Loin

Re: Digital PDF release, also as EPUB /MOBI ?

Postby Qui_Revient_de_Loin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:33 am

i totally agree since the page format and there is only one colonne, it would be very useful to put it in my ebook reader.
Another Earthdawn french fan :) and not fluent in english...
--
My ED campaign blog:

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:12 am

It isn't something we've talked about, so it isn't on the short-range radar, but it might be possible down the road.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Sangeet

Postby Sangeet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:43 pm

I would really , really appreciate that, as it makes reading soo much more comfortable. I tryed tablet computers (10") especially for PDF´s, but i found that even my Samsung Galaxy Note, the PDF scrolling was slow, and the lifetime of the battery was rather low compared to my ebook reader.
I would be happy with a version without any pictures, just the text and some very basic formatting, so it could be read just like a fiction book.

Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:21 pm

I used Calibre and converted it to a .mobi file to stick on my Kindle reader. It worked, but didn't work great. The obvious issue is tables and boxes of text, but that was really expected. The larger item is since there is no built in navigation/table of contents you can't easily navigate around in the thing.

I don't know alot about .mobi file creation. I've had a few pdf files I've dropped into Calibre and converted like I did here. It works, but a real ToC/navigation for the mobi file would be awesome. I doubt it is awesome enough to really deserve the limited resources they have to throw at things though.

I also stuck the raw pdf on an old (original) Kindle Fire. It works rather well overall. It still has the navigation issues mentioned above, but I'm quickly getting a feel for where stuff is in the book and my navigation is getting much, much faster. I imagine on a larger format tablet or iPad it would be awesome. Again, real navigation and linkable ToC would be amazing. The current ToC links work fine on my computer but not on the original Kindle Fire. This is due to the crappy PDF reader on the original Kindle, not the pdf file itself. I don't know (but someone should test) on a newer tablet and other tablets.

For most things I still prefer the dead-tree edition for my gaming books, but when I'm not at home it will work as a mobile reference perfectly on the tablet.
Dale

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:12 pm

Not sure if I answered this before or not but once we get the final PDF layout I'll look at what we can do and see if I can get it in an epub format.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Return to “Product Discussion”