Developer's Blog -- A pair of new spell mechanics

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Developer's Blog -- A pair of new spell mechanics

Postby Mataxes » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 pm

I've been quiet, I know, but here's something to snack on!

http://www.fasagames.com/blog/?post_id= ... -mechanics
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Danger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Developer's Blog -- A pair of new spell mechanics

Postby Danger » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:13 am

It's like you guys are reading my mind. :mrgreen:

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:45 am

I have to say I love these new mechanics.

The second one puts me in mind of Elementalist spells potentially having different elements. Why just Earth Darts; why not Water Darts? Pick the element at time of casting, based on which is available. Each could work exactly the same, but creatures with different immunities can be affected more by one version than another. Alternatively, only certain Elementalist spells could have an elemental template added to it: base spell plus some effect modifier based on the element (more damage, knockdown, etc.). The templates would be the same, but the base spells would differ. Oh well, spitballing, since I'm sure it's too late in the cycle to get major changes in.

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:32 am

The final cut of spells is still up in the air - a little more development to see what falls to the earth. However, there are Elementalist spells which have this kind of functionality. There are some interesting areas that are being explored and have really lit a fire with the design spaces. We will have to see if some of those spells hold water in the end. Nonetheless, I would like to get everything out there in the end.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:00 am

That is fantastic news, Panda. I'm anxiously awaiting these books. I look forward to seeing what new spells there are.

Danger

Postby Danger » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:14 am

Danger

Postby Danger » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:14 am

As the weakest (IMHO) of the magician disciplines, the Illusionist has long needed some love.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:18 am

Spader

Postby Spader » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:58 am

One issue that's been bothering me for every past editions are the multi-targeting spells.

Most of those spells need one thread per target. Meaning a mage would spend five rounds of threading plus one on spellcasting to hit five opponents. While he/she could have use a single target spell and hit every rounds.(and adapt through the course of the fight, if targets die or juste disperse from each others)

For this reason those spells never appealed to me and my players. Does the new system have something to make those spells more attractive?

Danger

Postby Danger » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:14 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”