Let's Talk About Forge

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Let's Talk About Forge

Postby Mataxes » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:43 pm

New preview is up. Kind of late, but here you are.

http://www.fasagames.com/blog/?post_id= ... bout-forge
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Kasbak

Re: Let's Talk About Forge

Postby Kasbak » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:08 am

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mataxes » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:13 am

Josh Harrison --

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:11 am

Very cool. I expect Weaponsmith Forges to have some real economic clout in the magic trade now.

Things that jump out at me... the Weaponsmith would still have to forge each step at a time - +1, +2, then +3, etc, correct?

& also if a lower ranking smith wants to forge a piece of armor to increase it's Mystic Armor, but it's already been forged on the physical side above his current Rank, he would then not be able to improve either Physical or Mystic? (Not renewal, that would lower them.)

I like the new renewal mechanic. I see a high circle Weaponsmith as the kind of guy who grabs the Scout, goes out into the woods for a few hours, and comes back with a bunch of random stuff and a few heavy rocks, then spends a few hours smashing rocks with things and chanting over them while binding them onto wood, and then hands them out to the group. Probably end up with some +4 or +5: a few stone-bladed lances, a bunch of javelin/arrow/dart tips, and a few hafted axes. After the [insert legendary deed] the local guys treasure the relics the Weaponsmith made on the spot to save his friends, but they aren't *quite* as sharp as in the story any more, as the local smiths don't have the same chants and spells as the Master.

Scaling up from there to metal work and other enchanting at higher circles will be interesting.

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:27 am

Hi Josh,

I *think* I like this one, but could you do me a favor? Could you provide the talent description as it will appear in the ED4 rule book? The description in your blog post contains so many references to this version and that change that I can't keep it all straight enough to figure out how this really works maybe it's just me getting old, but I think providing the description will help everyone better understand the changes you're making.

Thanks!

Lou

Sundahk

Postby Sundahk » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:30 am

I don't mind these changes. They make sense and don't make thread weapons redundant when it comes to damage.

Although I always thought the use of the Talent should be broadened.

Have you considered making the Talent a little more versatile by using Forge Blade to increase other parts of a weapon? It would be great if Forge Blade could be used to increase a weapon's balance/lightness so the wielder gets a + to Melee Weapons. Or creating a better guard on the hilt so a Swordmaster gets a + to Riposte. Although maybe these would be better as Knacks.

bleeding

Postby bleeding » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:06 am

Hello, like Lou, I'm a bit confused.

So now threaded weapons don't get an automatic boost of damage but can be forged ?

bleeding

Postby bleeding » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:46 am

Also, could the Weaponsmith make the bonus to a weapon permanent by spending Karma and/or LP ?

For example, a permanent bonus of 3 could cost 100+200+300 LP and/or 1+2+3 Karma points.

Penagain

Postby Penagain » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:18 am

Question about notation...

So if I have a broadsword (dmg step 5) and I forge it twice, do game materials record its damage as (step 7) or (step 5+2)? I think historically it would have been recorded as (Step 7, Forged twice), which tells me everything I need to know but is a bit wordy for a pretty basic stat.

The question, to me, comes into play when dealing with some thread weapons that might jump the damage on a weapon dramatically. If I have a thread broadsword that starts at (Step 6) and I forge it twice, (step 6+2) makes it clear that at the next rank, if it should happen to increase by thread to a default damage step of (step 8), would be (step 8+2).

I think that's probably nit-picky and a house rule thing in the long run, and it's possible that we want to avoid the "+2" thing as a way to differentiate from its prevalence in D&D (or at least D&D editions of the past, I know nothing about modern D&D)... I just wanted to ask.

Thanks.
I write stuff.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:45 am

Josh Harrison --

Return to “Product Discussion”