RPG.NET Q&A Archive

General discussion on 1879.
Kasbak

Re: RPG.NET Q&A Archive

Postby Kasbak » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:59 pm

I can't confirm or deny anything on that at this point, as there's still some mechanics development getting worked out. However, I can tell you that it is being discussed, so hang tight!

TarlimanJoppos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:04 pm

The mechanics would allow your T'skrang Weaponsmith to visit either Victorian England or the Gruv. The big question is, will the magic level support your Discipline? 1879 takes place in a lower-magic environment than Earthdawn, although that will change as the game progresses. Earth's mana cycle has been altered by the opening of the Rabbit Hole and the flood of mana pouring through from the Gruv. In turn, the Gruv's mana level is being depleted. Eventually, the two worlds will level out, and both will rise in mana level, heading for an Earthdawn-like magical environment. At the outset, 1879 has no Talents, only Skills, as the magic level isn't high enough to support Talents, much less the magical Patterns that empower the Disciplines.

The character advancement mechanic for 1879 is very similar to Earthdawn, although we're calling them "Adventure Points" instead of "Legend Points". There's still an advancement from Initiate to Novice to Journeyman, with Core Skills that allow karma use, and Optional Skills that don't, and Free Skills that are limited in Rank and lie outside the character Concept. I've covered this to some extent in Blog Entry #17, What a Concept, at http://www.fasagames.com/blog/?post_id= ... -a-concept. CoreStep isn't quite as flexible as SW, and needs some tweaking to fit it to specific game worlds, but the basic mechanics remain the same, and characters from one game world could work in another if you're willing to have both game world books available. Think of it maybe a bit like TORG, where the dominant reality asserts itself and tries to reshape your character to fit it, but you can assert your own original reality and do things that work in your home continuum if you're willing to put forth the effort required and take the consequences.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Very interesting, Andrew. Thanks for that.

I did notice in the Wizard thread that Josh has dropped the Initiate level, and that Novice now runs from Circle 1-4. Just in case you missed that :)

TarlimanJoppos

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Yeah, the Initiate was dropped from the CoreStep materials in the second round that I was sent. I'm keeping it for my product line. It demarcates the starting character, and gives me an extra pair of Skill Pool entries to play with. Mechanically, it doesn't make a huge difference. It's more of a bookkeeping thing than any serious impact. It does add a roleplaying element, and a character advancement element, in that you have to get trained for one more Tier advancement, having proven yourself as a starting character and being taken seriously by the more advanced people in your profession.

Oh, and 1879 doesn't have Circles. It just has Tiers. You start out as an Initiate, advance to Novice, and then advance to Journeyman, with a much more free-form advancement within the Tier. You still have to have enough Skills up to the proper Rank to advance in Tier, just like in Earthdawn.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Ah, yah, if you aren't using the Circle concept, that makes a lot of sense.

Return to “General Discussion”