RPG.NET Q&A Archive

General discussion on 1879.
Kasbak

RPG.NET Q&A Archive

Postby Kasbak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:41 am

Just for any who didn't happen to catch it, there was a Q&A tonight for 1879 on RPG.NET. The archive can be found at this link:

http://gmshoe.blogspot.com/2014/02/q-an ... -1879.html

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: RPG.NET Q&A Archive

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:16 am

:thumbup:

Nahor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Nahor » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:07 pm

This was really fun. Glad I made it despite feeling terribly under the weather (still do). Thanks all who answered. I think I really want to make it to GenCon since this, and I think ED, will be released at the con. :)

TarlimanJoppos

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Yeah, the idea is to have both ED4 and 1879 at GenCon.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:05 pm

This Q&A is really fascinating. I didn't realize until now that magic would explicitly exist in the setting and that there would be a Canonical tie to Earthdawn...

The Gruv seems interesting and I'm amped to hear more about the Saurids. And I can't help but compare this settings 'Earth' to that of Deadlands...which sounds AWESOME.
I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

TarlimanJoppos

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 pm

With Shadowrun formally detached from Earthdawn, we're building a new cosmology. Essentially, 1879 takes the place of Shadowrun in the FASA timeline, starting late in the Fifth World, and possibly extending into the Sixth. Magic is a very new thing to Earth, and low level, at least in the first few years. It's also arrived far too soon, which is going to eventually cause some very large problems.

The Saurids of the Gruv will look very familiar to Earthdawn players. There might even be a link between the Saurids of the Gruv, and the T'skrang of Earthdawn, and maybe even the Lizardmen of Demonworld... See Blog Entry #10, Saurids in Three Different Flavors, at http://www.fasagames.com/blog/index.php ... nt-flavors, for some preview information on the race.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:07 pm

I agree, this is an exciting development. Great job on the Q&A too.

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 am

Hello,

If 1879 is taking the place of Shadowrun in the overall timeline, how does that jive with the fact that the Earthdawn setting is Earth's ancient past? Or do you mean the Earth-based part of 1879 is taking the place of Shadowrun in the time line?

Is Earthdawn still set on Earth? I *really* hope the answer is yes, but I have a sinking feeling I'm about to be disappointed by ED4... again.

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:09 am

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:36 am

Hello,

No one ever claimed that Earthdawn and Shadowrun were set on the real world Earth. The fact that real-world history and Shadowrun history diverge does NOT mean that the game wasn't set on "Earth." It's a fictional version of Earth to be sure, but the intent was always that it was Earth.

My point here is that in the Q&A I saw something that indicated that 1879 and Earthdawn take place on the same planet, but that planet is NOT the Earth of the 1879 universe. Reading that actually caused me to lose sleep (that may be sad and pathetic, I know, but Earthdawn is something near and dear to my heart), so I'm hoping that I mis-read, but again, I have a sinking feeling I read it correctly.

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi

Return to “General Discussion”