Demo Kit

Discussion on the 1879 roleplaying game.
Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Demo Kit

Postby Roth » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:01 am

Sure, sure... but, I'm a realist when it comes to gaming.

Enough gamers out there equate "Capture the imagination" with "impact the game" that a designer should stop and think about their respective "classes". If they don't, their doing a disservice to their own game.

I look at the Cavalryman Discipline in ED. It "Captures the Imagination" when you read it. It, however, has quite the difficult time of "impacting the game" because of the very specific nature of the Discipline. Sure you can play one, but you lose much of your oomph when your mount isn't around.

1879 appears like a Victoriany Steampunky style of game. I wasn't surprised that the Priest and Shaman weren't popular. They don't fit as neatly as an Engineer or Weird Scientist does. That is why I said "Priest and Shaman will need something to make it an actual choice for players."

*edit: I don't know what or how for 1879 that is why I was advising caution.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Of course, I'm biased with insider info, but I believe it's going to come down a lot to what particular type of game people choose to run. 1879 has two different worlds to play in, and while I can see the anticipation that the Priest and Shaman won't have as big of an impact in Victorian London as some other professions, they will have more impact once you're through the portal and exploring an untamed, natural world.

To use an Earthdawn equivalency, if you're playing a game where the party is employed by Throal to go out over land and explore any unopened kaers left, you'll be in a lot of open fields while you travel and will probably have a lot of situations where a cavalryman is very useful. If however, you're playing a game aboard an airship fighting Therans, a cavalryman probably won't do as well (unless they get a flying mount). Or say you have a game focused on magical research trying to find a way to finally defeat the Horrors; any fighty type won't do as much there.

It all depends on the type of game being run, which is decided by the GM and the players. Everyone has their specialty, and will be more or less useful in different situations. On the development side, one can only provide an array of tools (read: classes) for a variety of situations, and try to give everyone a niche that will make them valuable across the board. Whether people choose to use that niche or not is up to them.

Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Roth » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:21 pm

I have no idea of what is being discussed, done, etc. this is purely from an outsiders lookyloo

This can be part of the problem. Having two distinct worlds to game in, which 'appear' to be very different from each other, may/can result in issues with 'classes'. If the Priest and Shaman won't have as big of an impact in Victorian London as some other professions, does that mean there will be a couple professions from Victorian London won't be having as big of an impact on New World?

Sure from Throal to Kaer Beta the cavalryman is helpful, but once inside Throal or Kaer Beta the usefulness of the cavalryman is greatly diminished. If equal time is spent in Throal, traveling, Kaer Beta then the cavalryman is 1/3 of the time fully(read: able to bring to bear all of the talents) useful. To make a cavalryman useful more often the group has to play a very specific type of game.
Actually all Adepts are magic in nature, why wouldn't they be useful in a campaign focused on magical research? Research isn't limited to spellcasting disciplines.

True, however if the niche is too specialized(read:Cavalryman) the amount of players willing to play such a niche is diminished. That also means all of the work done by the design team making such a niche profession ends up not being kinda wasted.

Return to “Roleplaying”