Czlaplon Quest

GM: TarlimanJoppos. "This subforum is for an online spinoff from my Bearers of the Helm campaign."
TarlimanJoppos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Isaac and Alston: You both see that there is something increasingly unhealthy about this place. It's subtle at first, just a little tinge of something that can't quite be called disease, but a wrongness, something a little out of balance. It gets stronger as you go. By the time the main party catches up with Alston at the farm with the big metal bird, it's clear enough that everyone with astral sight can readily see it, and even the non-astrally sighted are uneasy. You've all encountered Horror taint before. This isn't it.

Kolbeinn seems the most ill at ease. “This place,” he says, dropping into Sperethiel, “is sick.” He uses a word that has multiple meanings, including having a disease, being out of balance, and being unnatural. “The elements are not aligned properly. Water is not speaking clearly to earth, and air does not carry properly.” The word “carry” could also mean “transmit” or “convey” or “converse”.

Gudrun frowns, looking a bit more grim than usual, which is itself a bit frightening. “The spirits of this place are cowed, beaten down, afraid. They do not wish to speak. There are old ghosts here, but they do not ask for help with their unfinished business as one would expect.”

The big metal bird, by the way, is a sculpture, made of worn out farming tools, badly damaged bits of armor and weapons, the sort of junk one would expect to find on a farm in a region where there have been wars. It's cleverly made, all tied together with bits of baling wire and scrap, and it moves a little in the wind. It has a Name, but no other astral presence. The farm itself is ordinary enough in appearance, but there is no smoke coming from the chimney and you see no Name-givers. A tired-looking, elderly dog lies on the front step of the farmhouse, thin and weary, and does not bark at you.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

arcomniflash
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby arcomniflash » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:44 pm

"The real question then, is what are the spirits afraid of?" I'll pull my hat down lower to hide my grimace a little. "I expect the answers lie within the farm itself, we should proceed, but keep our wits about us as we go. Kolbeinn, as an Elementalist, you might be more likely than me to notice the cause of all this, so could you take point with me and keep an eye out for any clues?" I hope someone related that to him in Sperethial, since I know none at all.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:07 pm

I'm not sure if I should be heartened or worried. If it were Horror taint, we would at least know what it is and could simply forge ahead with a clear goal in mind. Being an unknown, we will need to search around to figure out the cause.

"Even without looking into the astral, it's obvious something isn't right here. Given that the reported problem isn't until the next farm along, I've got an uneasy feeling that whatever this is might be spreading." Giant toadstools might be the most obvious symptom, but I would think even a non-magic sensitive person would notice how far the imbalance spread outward, and this is farther than the report seemed to indicate. "Then again, we did get our information second hand, so it's hard to judge."

"I'm tempted to press on and aim right for the center of the problem area." It is natural for an Archer to aim for the bull's eye, after all. "However, since this is an unknown target, it might be best to search here at this farm before we proceed on to the next. Besides, there may be people here that need help as well." I'll cast a glance at the dog lying on the step. Right there is at least one living thing that could probably use a hand in dealing with this. Or at least give us a clue as to its effects.

TarlimanJoppos

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:37 pm

Isaac: “Unknown,” Gudrun says. She glances about like a teacher trying to figure out who's whispering in the classroom so a ruler can be taken to the offender's knuckles. “Summoning anything here will require extra effort just to drag a spirit to this spot.” Kolbeinn, having understood well enough what you said, rides up next to you, and goes a bit glass-eyed as he looks at the elements astrally.

Alston: Shaliko dismounts and heads for the gate to the farmhouse yard. “Good idea,” he says in the process. “Always check potential retreats to see if they're viable, and never leave an enemy behind you.”

Gudrun likewise dismounts, and Garsevan follows Shaliko, having no need for a mount. Shaliko stops at the gate, pulls on a pair of leather gloves, and inspects the gate carefully before opening it. Apparently finding nothing untoward, he reaches over to the back side of the gate, it only being waist high, like the split-rail fence, and opens the latch. When nothing untoward happens, he takes point, following the well-worn path through the farmyard toward the house. The dog whines a little, but does not move.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

arcomniflash

Postby arcomniflash » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:24 pm

I'll follow Shaliko towards the farmhouse with the Kolbeinn beside me, keeping my eyes open for any potential threats - Horror or otherwise. The lack of Horror taint does indeed suggest otherwise, but that only makes the unknown cause of this more unpredictable, so we've got to do our best not to become the hunted in this scenario.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm

With everyone making their way in, I'll head toward the farm house. First destination on my mind is to see to the old dog. If nothing else, this is his (or her) territory, and it would be rude to simply barge in without at least showing we are not a threat.

I'll fly most of the way, but will land about three yards off and walk for a final approach; lots of animals get nervous with the aerial advantage thing. I'll approach slow with a hand outstretched in front of me, giving the opportunity for my scent to get across. Assuming I can get close without incident, I'll give him/her a pet on the head and take a glance Astrally to see what sort of effect is present.

Update: Have my laptop at work with me today, and am at a spot now where I could pull up my character sheet. I can also attempt a Creature Analysis on my approach.

Creature Analysis: d8+d6: 2+5=7
Astral Sight: 2d6: 4+5=9

TarlimanJoppos

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:05 pm

Alston: Creature Analysis tells you that the dog is unlikely to best you in personal combat. Astral Sight says that it's in a lot of pain, sick, and too hungry and weak to move. You get up to the dog, which sniffs a little at you, and pat it on the head, and the tip of its tail moves in what might be an attempt at a wag. Now that you're this close, you can see that it's dusty, like a dish on a shelf that hasn't been tended to in a while, and its eyes are cloudy and filmed over.

Isaac: Kolbeinn stops halfway up the walk, inspecting a withered herb bed. Shaliko goes off to the right, to have a look around the corner of the farmhouse, and gestures for you to go around to the left, using standard battle sign.

Mekhitar has hung back, holding the reins for your mounts. Garsevan went up, to have a look from above the farmhouse. Gudrun followed the rest of the party up toward the farmhouse. About the time that Alston is patting the dog, Gudrun and Kolbeinn exchange a glance and a nod, and Gudrun snaps out, “Fall back. Now.” Garsevan calls down to the party at about the same moment. “Purply looking stuff spreading around the barn out back.”
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

arcomniflash

Postby arcomniflash » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:10 pm

As per the indication from Shaliko, I head around to the left so that I can get a look at the farmhouse from that side. However, when Gudrun issues the order to fall back, I'll do so. No sense in charging in by myself, that sort of action gets you killed, and now is clearly the time to discuss just what this 'purply stuff' is. Since there didn't seem to be any taint in the area, it might not be related to Horrors, but I don't want to rule anything out until we've discussed it.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Sympathy is of course the first emotion that comes across my mind. Confusion and curiosity follow quickly after. For the dog to actually be dusty, it would have to have been sitting still for a long time to accumulate. "It's weak and in pain." I'll comment on my approach, not sure if anyone is listening.

When the call to fall back goes out, my very first instinct will be to get bow in hand and an arrow nocked, followed quickly by a scan to see what direction the danger is and where to fall back to. Since the indication seems to be directed toward the back of the barn, that is where I will focus and look to move away from. I'll spare a quick glance back to look for a defensible perch that I can eventually make my way to, though I won't turn away unless I have to run. Never take your eyes off the target. Besides, moving away quickly would mean leaving one behind.

"The dog is too weak to move, and there's no way I can carry it." I'll again comment openly, though louder this time. I won't sacrifice moving with the group for the sake of protecting it; it may be a life, but the short and simple fact is that it's not a Namegiver and not part of my unit. However, I'll still throw out hope that someone will have a chance to scoop it up and prevent having to make the hard decision.

TarlimanJoppos

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Isaac: You had just enough of a look around the house to the left to see a side porch, and a mound on it covered in purplish fungus, maybe about the size and rough shape of a Name-giver body. You pull back to the rest of the group.

Alston: Gudrun and Kolbeinn are backing away toward the gate. As they do, Kolbeinn tosses a bolt of fire at the herb garden, charring it down to scorched earth in an instant. “Leave the dog,” Gudrun says. “Does anyone have distilled spirits?”

“I do,” Shaliko and Mekhitar both respond. They glance at each other. “I'll bet yours are straight alcohol,” Mekhitar says. “Mine is drinkable. Use his.”

“Alston,” Gudrun says, “lower your bow and glide down. Stay downwind of Shaliko. You need to be decontaminated.”
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

Return to “Czlaplon Quest”